3 week olds with bloody combs and wattles.

UThobbyfarmer

Free Ranging
9 Years
May 29, 2013
Utah
This is a first for me in 10 years of chicken keeping and 3 hatching chicks.

I have 29 chicks in a 46”x 46” brooder. 14 purchased BCM chicks. 15 BYM that I hatched myself (3 different egg sources). The Marans are 3 week 3 days old. The barnyard mixes are 2 weeks 4 days old.

This morning I was surprised to find 3 BCM chicks, who I have identified as roosters, with bloody combs and wattles. I’m wondering what I should do to prevent further injury and promote healing? Photos are of one chick. But I have at least 3 more just like it.

Potential causes:

1) Sparing. They’ve been doing this for about a week. Although I’ve never had chicks this young bloody each other like this.

2) Overcrowding. I thought they had enough space for another 1-2 weeks but maybe not?

3) Yesterday they started getting let out into the run for 2-4 hours. Maybe this trigger something in the faster maturing Roos. Now they are getting serious about establishing a pecking order.

4) A couple days ago I started banding the noticeable boys. I have about 7 banded. They sure like picking at these zip tie bands. Maybe these bands trigger the other chicks to pick on these ones?

5) They ran out of water overnight. During the day they are checked many times. An empty watered was a fluke but maybe could have agitated them enough to start pick on each other?

I’m open to all ideas! I was planning on growing out all these birds to 5-6 months before processing spare Roos. Here are a couple pictures of the comb. Then some of their brooder. To show conditions and crowding.

F01A7335-76DF-498E-BA16-8A5782EFA73A.jpeg E0962EFC-D035-4102-A86A-C7750D0A5BC1.jpeg EC4D5493-A02D-4CD5-B56C-9535940335CA.jpeg 78029D18-4124-437D-A4C1-2C4FECA0865C.jpeg

I suspect #2. They look pretty densely-packed in that brooder.

IIRC, the guidelines are 1/2 square foot per bird for the first couple weeks, 1 square foot per bird up to 4-6 weeks depending on circumstances, 2 square feet per bird up to about 10-12 weeks, and the full 4 square feet per bird like adults after that.

So even at 2 weeks old they need 14.5 square feet and your brooder is 14.7 square feet. But some of your chicks are older so you're looking at more like 29 square feet recommended.

Have you raised that many chicks in that brooder setup before?

If you have and they didn't have any issues it might be a matter of individual temperament.

I suspect #2. They look pretty densely-packed in that brooder.

IIRC, the guidelines are 1/2 square foot per bird for the first couple weeks, 1 square foot per bird up to 4-6 weeks depending on circumstances, 2 square feet per bird up to about 10-12 weeks, and the full 4 square feet per bird like adults after that.

So even at 2 weeks old they need 14.5 square feet and your brooder is 14.7 square feet. But some of your chicks are older so you're looking at more like 29 square feet recommended.

Have you raised that many chicks in that brooder setup before?

If you have and they didn't have any issues it might be a matter of individual temperament.
These are good numbers to work with. I’ll have to do some number crunching this afternoon.

First time with this setup. The run the brooder is set inside, that they had access to yesterday, is 112 sq ft.

We’ve grown out similar numbers before but not with this setup. I was limiting their run access because it’s only predator proof. Smaller wild birds can still get in. I didn’t want to the new chicks exposed to any diseases or parasites from those birds.

These are good numbers to work with. I’ll have to do some number crunching this afternoon.

First time with this setup. The run the brooder is set inside, that they had access to yesterday, is 112 sq ft.

We’ve grown out similar numbers before but not with this setup. I was limiting their run access because it’s only predator proof. Smaller wild birds can still get in. I didn’t want to the new chicks exposed to any diseases or parasites from those birds.

Can you put up some netting to exclude the wild birds?

That's what I was gonna say. Luckily, netting comes pretty cheap so shouldn't be a big adjustment. I tie it on with the same zip ties I use for leg banding ;)
Hopefully some more space will solve your pecking issue. Fingers crossed!
They’re already out enjoying their newfound space again. I’m going to TS to check out netting this afternoon. I think they’ll be ok till it gets put up. The wild birds don’t seem to have caught on yet to there being food inside. Because we haven’t had birds in awhile.

It’s too bad they couldn’t wait on the picking. We are about a week+ out from them being moved into the new barn for growing out. They’ll have a 12x12 box stall for a coop. Plus a large run. I’m guessing it’ll be 16’ x 32’ based on the panels we have.

That barn, too, is a temporary home. While we design and build a large new coop/run. I just don’t want anyone thinking they’ll be packed like sardines long term. I really should have waited on chicks until after their housing was sorted. Everyone on BYC knows how that story always goes. 😂

I really hope this extra space sorts them out. I love Marans but we like calm, gentle, chickens more. I was planning on keeping 1-2 of the Roos long term. This line might be a bit to hot blooded for my liking. Time will tell…

I raised three golden Cucco Marans
pullets from chicks. They sparred each other all the time starting early on. In their defense the eggs will be HUGE chocolate XXL eggs, don't give up on them yet. My Penciled Plymouth Rock was raised with them. Can you separate them in a see but don't touch pen?
I definitely can if needed. I’d love to have some eggs like that. 😍

Did yours ever stop? Or did it continue through to adulthood?

Back
Top Bottom