3 weekers & 1weekers. am I intro-ing them wrong?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chantald, Apr 29, 2008.

1. chantald

chantald Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 6 Black Aussie (mixes I think) that are 3 weeks old and out in their coop (coop only not the run) 24/7. I have 9 1 weekers (mix of RIR and BRs) inside in the brooder.

I took 3 of the Aussies and placed them in the brooder today. 1 was a bit peckish so I took them out and put them back in the coop, the other two were fine but the littles were huddled in the corner, so I took 1 more biggie out and left 1 biggie with the 9 littles. They seem fine together.. I don't see much pecking going on.. mostly the little ones investigating the bigger one.

Is this a bad way to go about introducing them? Will I harm my big chicks psychie by removing her from her age mates and putting her, alone with the little ones.. or is this a good way to get a big chick to be protective of the smaller ones? Should there be 2 bigger ones with the littles..

The little chicks will head out to the coop by the second week of May.. I can't supervise them out there like I can inside the house (I have 3 little human chicks myself that preclude me spending all day sitting in the coop)...

Am I going about this wrong?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds good to me. If it was me... I'd probably have just put them all in the same box and watched for a few days. If nobody was being picked on... I'd just let them go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by