3 weeks new

Nomibear

Songster
7 Years
May 23, 2012
Pleasanton Tx
My Coop
My Coop
Hi. My name is Naomi, and my adult chicken experience is now 3 weeks old. All but one of our 20 chicks are thriving. One was (we assume) pecked on by the others until she has no skin on her neck. It is down to the meat. We removed her, and put her in with our nine ducks, who have been very sweet and accepting of her. Thing is, she still doesn't look healthy, and doesn't seem to be growing as fast as the other chicks.... Any tips for pulling her through this? ~Naomi

Clean her wound thoroughly, put some Neosporin on it, then you can put a dab of Blu-Kote on it so no-one pecks at it.

Welcome to BYC! We're glad you joined!
frow.gif

Thanks for the welcome everybody:)
Q's; what is Blue Kote? Where would I get some? Should I leave her with the ducks until then? Or put her back with the other chicks?
~Naomi

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Most livestock supply stores carry blu kote. If the ducks don't pick at her, she will be fine with them until you are ready to re introduce her.

Hello and welcome to BYC! I put a vitamin-mineral solution in my chicken's water when they need a boost or are recovering from illness or disease. Works very well. Good luck with your baby.

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. I bought some EMT gel at my local Tractor Supply store.when one of my hens tail feathers were being pulled out. It is a first aid kit in a tube. It is a really thick gel like honey that is made for all animals including birds and reptiles. It worked great and healed fast. Blue Kote is a protective wound coating that has a bad taste and keeps them from being pecked at. I would also put her back with the others as soon as you can get something on her wound or you might have trouble reintroducing her later, which causes another set of problems. Good luck. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom