3 weeks no feathers

FeatherstoneFrm

Songster
Aug 1, 2014
Appling, GA
IMG_20180403_125722235.jpg Of my 6 chicks, all but 1 are feathering beautifully. This sweet baby is growing, although he/she is still about half the size of the others, but looks exactly like the day we brought them home. We'll say she for now. She is active, eats drinks, postures with the others, tries to fly to the perch like the others but doesn't have wing feathers to get her there. No one is picking on her.
I don't know her breed. She was different than all others in the group we picked her from at TSC.
Does anyone have an idea of her breed or what might be happening with her IMG_20180403_115416882_HDR.jpg Im including a picture of all 6. I would also like to identify the yellow chick in the back if anyone has a guess.

Last edited:
Sometimes males feather in much slower than pullets, so since it looks like an Australorp that would be my guess at this point.

Which yellow chick? In front or back? The one in front look like a boy with those thick legs. No guess on breeds, you will have to wait a bit longer.

I cant help with the breed as I am hopeless at guessing with chicks but I have a Black Copper Marans chick that is doing exactly the same thing. All the other chicks, now 5 weeks old have pretty much fully feathered out and she looks like they did at 2 weeks. I have absolutely no idea why! I am pretty sure that mine is a pullet however as there is almost no comb at all and my cockerels from this hatch got their combs pinked up pretty early. Here's hoping anyway! Good luck with her, she sure is a cutie!

Sometimes males feather in much slower than pullets, so since it looks like an Australorp that would be my guess at this point.
Which yellow chick? In front or back? The one in front look like a boy with those thick legs. No guess on breeds, you will have to wait a bit longer.
That is so not the answer I was hoping for. I have two Australorp pullets that have turned in to 1 pullet/1 roo. This little guy was in a straight run bin so I knew there was a chance. We chose 4 pullets and 2 straight run with the hopes of getting 1 roo. Now it looks like we might have 3.
The group pic was not the one I meant to post so here is another pic of that yellow chick. This one was also in a bin of pullets with no breed info. Yay TSC. This poor baby has a splayed leg and curved toes. We are splinting it tonight to see if we can fix it.
We love all of these guys and their emerging personalities. It will be hard if we have to get rid of any males. IMG_20180403_125753436.jpg

I cant help with the breed as I am hopeless at guessing with chicks but I have a Black Copper Marans chick that is doing exactly the same thing. All the other chicks, now 5 weeks old have pretty much fully feathered out and she looks like they did at 2 weeks. I have absolutely no idea why! I am pretty sure that mine is a pullet however as there is almost no comb at all and my cockerels from this hatch got their combs pinked up pretty early. Here's hoping anyway! Good luck with her, she sure is a cutie!
Thanks. Glad mine isn't the only slowpoke.
This one also has very little comb and it is a light grayish color. 1 Australorp 'pullet' has a big bright pink comb and pink waddle coming in. He is also bigger than the other Australorp.
I know this is a huge guessing game until they get a bit older but I love trying to figure it out. I'm going to hold out hope for this one to be a pullet. It is healthy and it's feathers will come when they are ready I guess.

Back
Top Bottom