3 weeks until Pond time

zooweemama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Far Northern California
I have 8 week olds and 5 week olds. We have a small pond (well compared to the little decorative ones people build it's a lot bigger than those)...once they get their full feathers- we planned to let them go to the pond. They will be mostly unmanaged during the day- we check on them about 2 hours now as it is and will likely keep doing that but moving to 3 hour intervals. Back to the coop for night time though.

I have been very diligent about offering peas between 8-830 pm nightly. They will follow me around pretty much as long as I have the green crack in hand. I AM very nervous about letting them go to our pond and afraid I will have a hard time getting them back in. It's probably only about 5 feet deep at it's fullest. It is loaded with frogs, toads and minnows and lots of yummy greenery. It's a bit overgrown now but we were helping the ducks would help with that. :D No turtles that I am aware of. My kids played in it last summer (without my permission and I freaked because ewww! I knew this was a pond the previous owners had ducks on and the wild ones used to come here before we kept shooing them away) and no one had been bitten or anything. It is a manmade pond so I am not sure how snapping type turtles could show up here.

My 2 big concerns: eagles/hawks will still try to take off with a full grown 5-9 pound duck right? AND my biggest concern: anyone who has made the transition with their freshly feathered ducks to pond have many issued getting them back to the coop at nights?

Right now I am also working on removing their food in the afternoon so that supper time they know peas + supper is coming.

Anything else I can do to prepare? Thanks!

(eta: i say 3 weeks because we decided to wait until the youngest ones were fully feathered too and then introduce them all to the pond)

Extra Question: during the day the 14 ducks will be out to the pond basically alone although we will check on them every 2-4 hours during the day. is there another animal that we can add -like a pair of female geese or something that will help keep the big predator birds away? A dog is not an option at this time.

Last edited:
If you throw a few peas in the coop they'll run right in! It will take some coaxing, but they will eventually go!
While I don't have much advice with the pond, ( because mine have always been in baby pools) they should have easy access in/out of the pond ! A ramp is always a good way to go , so when they're tired they can come out!
Hawks will always be a problem! Just keep your eye on them and don't let them go in the pond if you know you're not going to be around.

Hope this helps!!!

Just this past week started letting mine out on the lake full time.
We have a 5 acre lake and they want to stay within 200 feet of the house!
I've actually been feeding them dinner at different points around the lake to try to get them to explore some.
They know my dinner call and come running to where ever I am on the lake.
Only problem I'm having is getting them to SWIM to me not run around the lake!!
My husband says I have "land" ducks! LOL
I knew I would have to encourage them to explore, but not to SWIM!!! They are DUCKS after all! LOL

And every night at 9pm sharp, they are standing outside the basement door waiting to come in for the night.
You will be surprised how they know where bed is and what time to come in.
They are creatures of habit.

Now anyone want to tell me how to teach a duck to swim!!
lau.gif

Just this past week started letting mine out on the lake full time.
We have a 5 acre lake and they want to stay within 200 feet of the house!
I've actually been feeding them dinner at different points around the lake to try to get them to explore some.
They know my dinner call and come running to where ever I am on the lake.
Only problem I'm having is getting them to SWIM to me not run around the lake!!
My husband says I have "land" ducks! LOL
I knew I would have to encourage them to explore, but not to SWIM!!! They are DUCKS after all! LOL

And every night at 9pm sharp, they are standing outside the basement door waiting to come in for the night.
You will be surprised how they know where bed is and what time to come in.
They are creatures of habit.
So funny! I'm sorry you duckies don't want to swim. Maybe the just need to warm up a little bit. Have you tossed some peas into the water or some fresh salad? Mine go bonkers if I throw anything floating tidbit into water.

So funny! I'm sorry you duckies don't want to swim. Maybe the just need to warm up a little bit. Have you tossed some peas into the water or some fresh salad? Mine go bonkers if I throw anything floating tidbit into water.
Yep. We just call them our land ducks. LOL
They do go to water when anyone is around or if the dogs are outside, so they do know HOW to swim.
They just PREFER to be right at the waters edge.
I'm feeding them every evening on the other side of the lake so they have to swim over to me.
Hoping this will encourage them to swim and explore the lake more.

Yep. We just call them our land ducks. LOL
They do go to water when anyone is around or if the dogs are outside, so they do know HOW to swim.
They just PREFER to be right at the waters edge.
I'm feeding them every evening on the other side of the lake so they have to swim over to me.
Hoping this will encourage them to swim and explore the lake more.
Good luck! Take your camera so you can get that eventful day! haha!

Back
Top Bottom