3 wk old chick with no feathers...

Quote:
I have a two week old light brahma chick that is WAY behind my other 5 chicks.
The chicks are from MPC and were all sexed, but I know there is a 10% chance she is a he.... "she" is all chick fuzz while everyone else has wings.

How long did it take for you to know you had a roo?

PS- no balding in the family
big_smile.png

Oh I can't have roos and I try to help anything that is ugly or different that comes my way just because I don't believe in killing something for being different. Sick is another thing but you wouldn't disown your child for having big ears or a lopsided nose and I won't cull for being ugly. Anyway I wanted it so badly to be a hen and everyone said because of the feathering thing it was going to be a roo. I didn't give in to hotwing being a roo til he started to do the baby crow thing at about 5 months. When his feathers started actually growing in he only had wing tip feathers for a long time. The only thing about him that even remotely said roo to me was the fact that his legs were thicker or bigger than the girls. Without feathers he just looked like your dinner walking around....literally!

Without feathers he just looked like your dinner walking around....literally!

sorta like a beer can chicken with feet? How funny.

I hope mine feathers out...I don't want a roo just to be polite to the neighbors, but I am zoned to have one. I might have made a mistake...I named "her" Cupid who is actually a boy (because we have a bit of a reindeer thing started and "she" is so lovey) ...so at least I wouldn't have to change the name.
smile.png
sad.png

Can't get to face book at work, I can't wait to get home and see hotwings!​

Sweet Lord- those featherless chickens are just plain wrong. Like aliens. Aren't they worried about them getting sunburned?

I have one that is still 98% down and just sparse wing feathers.
I'm 99% sure that it's a rooster
tongue.png

In my experience, LOTS of breeds have slow-feathering roosters.

Anyway, my guy was the biggest chick at hatch, and he's still very robustly sized, just all fuzzy!!!!!!!

Here he is, and his sister is furthest to the back on the left left with the big tail
lol.png

25851_615080497141_55007926_34765842_8122484_n.jpg

Tala ~ that is exactly what hotwing looked like for 5 months! I am so glad to know that my issue was not that uncommon. I felt kinda bad for him because everyone else got their precious feathers and he got squat. I always left a lamp on just for him even though the ladies kept him pretty warm hahaha. He would kinda snuggle under their wing and they let him.

Back
Top Bottom