3 Year Old Chicken Gone Lame

Another Update: She seems a little better. I have been giving her half-doses of the vitamins each day, and the mudballs are gone. Her appetite and thirst seems to have increased, and I saw her take two steps in a row without stumbling or using her wing. She did them slowly though, and sat down to rest for a while afterwards. Also, she curls her claw a bit less and stands more. Would putting her in a sling help her legs recover better, or would it just annoy her?

It's been a while, and she is doing very good. She walks around and forages when I place her on the ground, and I haven't seen her struggle much at all to move nor is her foot curling anymore. She spends most of her time standing or walking, but does still rest often. She still hasn't done any running, but she can walk and move at a normal pace. At what point should I stop giving her vitamins? Also, I'm worried putting her back with the rooster could be bad since he's twice her size and she's the only mate available, so it will probably be too much stress on her legs. We have a younger flock without roosters, but I'm afraid the hens will bully her since she's old and slow. Is there any way to prevent the rooster from mounting? (I know about saddles but the physical weight on her back is the problem, not friction or bleeding.)

She laid an egg today, which she hasn't done in a while. It had a bump, which I think shows either excess calcium or a lengthy process growing the egg.

Did the B vitamin help? My 10-week old hen is experiencing the same symptoms.

Two days ago, her legs curled in an unnatural way and trembled. She was sitting a lot, hobbling a bit. Now she is completely unable to walk. She still looks alert, eyes and comb are brightly colored and her neck is strong. She has a good appetite and is eating crumble/water, occasional grass. She sits in the hen house by herself all day & night.

For the past couple weeks, I had fed all 3 chickens about 2 cups of black soldier larvae from my compost every day. Could that have contributed to her condition? The other two chickens seem fine.

Two days ago, her legs curled in an unnatural way and trembled. She was sitting a lot, hobbling a bit. Now she is completely unable to walk. She still looks alert, eyes and comb are brightly colored and her neck is strong. She has a good appetite and is eating crumble/water, occasional grass. She sits in the hen house by herself all day & night.

For the past couple weeks, I had fed all 3 chickens about 2 cups of black soldier larvae from my compost every day. Could that have contributed to her condition? The other two chickens seem fine
Definitely take the larvae to a minimum. They should just eat their food. If she's affected worse could mean she has worms. How's her poop

For the past couple weeks, I had fed all 3 chickens about 2 cups of black soldier larvae from my compost every day. Could that have contributed to her condition? The other two chickens seem fine.
I would limit her to very little of the soldier fly larvae. I am not very familiar with it anyway. Could there be something else in the compost that could have been moldy or remains of a small dead animal? At 10 weeks lameness could be a result of Mareks disease, a vitamin or mineral deficiency, injury, or toxin. Was she vaccinated for Mareks, and have you ever had other lame chickens or unexplained deaths? Vitamin B complex tablets are inexpensive, and dosage for a chicken is 1/4-1/2 tablet daily, which can be crushed and added to a spoonful of water, food, or given whole orally. Here are some examples of chicken slings that can be helpful with a lame chicken
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Last edited:
@12404914 how is you chicken doing? Vitamin B complex tablets are hard to overdose, and if they help, I would continue those for awhile. Sling chairs are good for some chickens, but some may fight them or escape them.

@12404914 how is you chicken doing? Vitamin B complex tablets are hard to overdose, and if they help, I would continue those for awhile. Sling chairs are good for some chickens, but some may fight them or escape them.
Thank you for rechecking. She is doing good. She walks around but is still a slow, but the fumbling and struggling is all gone. I still try to give her the Vitamin B supplement each day. For a brief period she lost her appetite but after changing her feed she is eating well and has healthy poops again. We have been letting her out with others now and we might have her sleep in the same coop, if she's able to roost.

Definitely take the larvae to a minimum. They should just eat their food. If she's affected worse could mean she has worms. How's her poop
She’s gotten much worse. She cannot sit up and her neck is twisted around. I’m not sure about her poop, it doesn’t seem like there is much. Likely putting her down tomorrow. Not sure what happened :/

Back
Top Bottom