3 Year Old Chicken Gone Lame

Chirping
Sep 2, 2021
A three year old hen of ours has gone lame. She doesn't stand up or walk on two legs, but she can "walk" on her hocks/shanks. Basically she is sitting down and moving her legs forward, kind of like how a person can "walk" on their knees. She also pushes with her wings to do this. However, she does this very little and it seems hard for her. She also has a couple small mudballs, probably from the excess rain and lack of movement. I initially attributed her not moving around to getting ready to die from old age. I didn't want to disturb her, but I soon realized something was up and examined her.
She still eats food, but not much. She has been drinking a lot of water though. She doesn't seem to be in pain. Her poops are a pasty white, like glue or snot.
She hasn't laid eggs for months, and we have been letting her and the rooster free-range and feed has been provided, so I don't think this is a malnutrition issue, but I may be wrong. Their waterer used to be dirty (mud, rust, algae/mold) until I took over the job of tending to them (the other person was replaced due to the water).
All her flock mates besides the rooster have passed already, so she is old for her breed. Also, another hen of the same breed and age but in a different flock had a similar issue. I tried to help her with a stretcher and yogurt for calcium but she died a week or two after it happened. Both chickens were found lame at the bottom of their sleeping area below the roosting perches.
I don't know much about lameness, but I think it might be an issue of their breed getting old, as no other breed we have has had the issue. We don't know their breed for certain but they have the same red color as many production red breeds which tend to be unhealthy.
I am putting her in an isolated sheltered area with food and water and good ventilation. I have a few questions about what else: Should I put her in a stretcher? Should I change her diet? Would it be a good idea to give her a bath? How should I physically examine her/What should I feel her body for?
Any help would be appreciated. I am going to go back and see if I can identify anything else useful.
Edit: Her left foot is curling while her right foot is staying splayed open. The left one is the foot she puts most of her pressure one when scooting around. Her right foot is the one with mudballs. I've washed/removed bigger mudballs on others before, so I don't know if that is the issue. Maybe she sprained or dislocated one of her legs (probably the right one)?

Last edited:
What are you feeding your chickens? A riboflavin or vitamin B2 deficiency is one cause of walking on hocks and curled under toes. Another cause is Mareks disease. Have you ever had a necropsy done on any birds that you have lost? Were any of them vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would make sure they are getting a balanced chicken layer or all flock feed. For now, I would give 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily of human vitamin B complex, which is found at most drugstores or retail grocery’s.

Another Update: She seems a little better. I have been giving her half-doses of the vitamins each day, and the mudballs are gone. Her appetite and thirst seems to have increased, and I saw her take two steps in a row without stumbling or using her wing. She did them slowly though, and sat down to rest for a while afterwards. Also, she curls her claw a bit less and stands more. Would putting her in a sling help her legs recover better, or would it just annoy her?

@12404914 how is you chicken doing? Vitamin B complex tablets are hard to overdose, and if they help, I would continue those for awhile. Sling chairs are good for some chickens, but some may fight them or escape them.
Thank you for rechecking. She is doing good. She walks around but is still a slow, but the fumbling and struggling is all gone. I still try to give her the Vitamin B supplement each day. For a brief period she lost her appetite but after changing her feed she is eating well and has healthy poops again. We have been letting her out with others now and we might have her sleep in the same coop, if she's able to roost.

Can you post pictures of her face? How does she feel, skinny, good weight? Can you give her raw yolk and nutri drench? Has she been wormed recently?
She feels a little skinny but not deathly thin. Her breastbone feels normal. I am not allowed to (though I'd prefer) feed chickens eggs if they're sick. Our chickens are not wormed, but we did treat them for lice several months backs

Attachments

• IMG_20220828_181528083.jpg
    IMG_20220828_181528083.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220828_181521109.jpg
    IMG_20220828_181521109.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 5
What are you feeding your chickens? A riboflavin or vitamin B2 deficiency is one cause of walking on hocks and curled under toes. Another cause is Mareks disease. Have you ever had a necropsy done on any birds that you have lost? Were any of them vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would make sure they are getting a balanced chicken layer or all flock feed. For now, I would give 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily of human vitamin B complex, which is found at most drugstores or retail grocery’s.
Our chickens get layer feed from Tractor Supply (empty bag below). They also eat seeds, vegetation, and insects when roaming. They get treats once in a while (like once a week or two) in the form of oats or fruit/vegetables but most days they don't so they don't get fat. We haven't done any necropsies on our chickens. I'll try to get some vitamin b complex, but I'm not in charge of buying stuff for our chickens

Attachments

• IMG_20220829_165312434.jpg
    IMG_20220829_165312434.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 4
Update: She is able to stand sometimes. I guess that's why I'd didn't notice it at first. It's walking she struggles with.

You may need to up their protein, any chance the owners would buy all flock to mix it with the layer feed?
I could try that, but I've brought up buying all flock feed for our rooster and was told no. Still sounds like a good idea. Any other ideas for increasing protein levels, besides free-roaming for insects/meat?

Back
Top Bottom