3 year old jersey giant is not getting around at all

moesypoesy

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Rose is 3 or 4 years old and over last several months has seemed to be limping, especially in the morning. She lays around alot during the day typically, but eats and drinks fine. The foot/leg problem has gotten much worse in the last week, and she can barely walk. I have placed her in the coop myself for the last two nights, and gotten her out manually in the morning too.

She seems healthy otherwise. Can't say that her eyes look at all like it's Marek's disease, can't see anything that looks like leg mites. When she lays down now her wings are held limp, not tight against her body like normal. She is still vocal and seems alert, just not going anywhere.

I brought her into my warm kitchen to observe. Hand fed her today and she ate eagerly. I mixed some antiobiotic from the feed and seed with some electrolyte/vitamin powder and have gotten her to drink a bit. Reminds me of an elderly person with arthritis almost.

We have had multiple killings by a possum in last 2 weeks and are down to Rose and one other chicken. This was very traumatic, but seems to be unrelated to me. Also, this hen has never been a good layer, always had trouble forming shells properly. Just a wonderful personality though, I love Rose! Any experience with this out there??

idunno.gif

chookchick

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Olympia WA
welcome-byc.gif

I wonder if it is related to a calcium deficiency--like cage layer fatigue. I would make sure she has access to oyster shell at all times, along with a good layer ration. You could give her a 1/2 tums crushed in plain yogurt as a calcium boost. The vitamins and electrolytes is good, and get her to eat as many nutritional treats as you can. If you can give her "leg therapy"-stretching and moving the legs as much as you can, that would be good also. Do her hocks seem hot or swollen? Any possibility of poisoning? Keep her butt as clean as you can.

moesypoesy

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Quote:
I will try the leg therapy idea. Laying around all the time cannot help but make stiff legs stiffer I would think. I checked her hocks and they don't seem hot at all or swollen/malformed. It is possible that she was poisoned I suppose, but by what? Are you hinting at botulism? I did notice some pinkness in spots on the bottom of her feet. Maybe some small injuries that are sore? Hmmmmm...

Thanks!

Top Bottom