3 yo Bourbon Red tom not acting right

boxermom

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Spencer,IA
My 3yo tom is not acting right. He's not gobbling and was laying down today. That is out of his character as he struts all over the place, especially if I'm outside. Last night he wasn't in his usual roosting spot. Tonight he is, but he still didn't gobble and he let DH and me touch him. Normally, he would have jumped down off the roost when I came in to the barn and would have gobbled so much DH and I would not have been able to talk to each other. I also noticed that he was "scrunching" up his neck like maybe trying to throw up, but was not opening up his mouth I thought maybe sourcrop or impacted crop, but I don't know what to feel for. I think I palpated his crop up high, just under and beside his carunkles. It felt like a balloon. I'm not really sure that was what it was. Just my guess from processing. Any ideas what could be wrong and what should I do to help him? I don't want to lose him as he's my only tom. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
My 3yo tom is not acting right. He's not gobbling and was laying down today. That is out of his character as he struts all over the place, especially if I'm outside. Last night he wasn't in his usual roosting spot. Tonight he is, but he still didn't gobble and he let DH and me touch him. Normally, he would have jumped down off the roost when I came in to the barn and would have gobbled so much DH and I would not have been able to talk to each other. I also noticed that he was "scrunching" up his neck like maybe trying to throw up, but was not opening up his mouth I thought maybe sourcrop or impacted crop, but I don't know what to feel for. I think I palpated his crop up high, just under and beside his carunkles. It felt like a balloon. I'm not really sure that was what it was. Just my guess from processing. Any ideas what could be wrong and what should I do to help him? I don't want to lose him as he's my only tom. Thanks for your input.

I,m sorry hear about your tom I see its been 4 days and no one has replied how is he doing.
I am new to Turkeys my self.
Were you able to get Info from another source on what to do.
Do you have hens and how are they.

Thanks for asking about my tom. I received no feedback anywhere. Fortunately, he is fine. It took about 3 days for him to get back to normal. BTW, I didn't even receive notice that YOU had replied. I've not been on BYC much since they changed their format. Not sure if I did something wrong or if this is the way it works now.

I just saw your thread. I didn't see it when you originally posted. Sorry to hear about your tom. In the future, if you have any problems with your turkeys and don't get any feedback, please feel free to PM me or any of us turkey lovers. We will respond back to you.

Glad to hear that your turkeys is doing fine.

My BR tom did the same thing a few days ago. I was a bit concerned and considered posting on here about it but didn't have the time. Thankfully after a few days he was fine again though, he was gobbling and strutting today finally. I thought it may have just been because it was so hot the first day he did it and maybe had a bit of heat exhaustion but I'm still not certain. We had two cool days afterward and it was warm again today but I'm glad he's fine again. ^_^

"I think I palpated his crop up high, just under and beside his carunkles. It felt like a balloon. I'm not really sure that was what it was."

^This is completely normal, tom turkeys fill their chest full of air so they can gobble and make the "thump" noise they do when strutting. =3 If you have other boys and feel their breast (particularly if they are mature) it would feel the same way.

Back
Top Bottom