3 yo lab needs 2 B trained - but how?

Shock collar with a long range remote.

Highlands has a good post about how he used one to train a dog anyone else would have thought untrainable. I don't remember if it is on this forum or on his farm blog. If you can't find it here Google Sugar mountain farm blog and you will find it.

Actually I found it for you. Here is the link to Walter's blog and the story about the dog Kita: http://flashweb.com/blog/2006/03/killer-kita-training-the-untrainable.html

Quote:
That will work eventually. The idea to get into the dog's head, tho, is that those are YOUR chickens and if you want them bit YOU will do it yourself. YOU are the alpha in the pack and the dogs need to learn to leave YOUR stuff alone. How does the alpha teach that? Up close and personal. Grab the misbehaving dog by the scruff and put him on the ground while yelling at him in a growly deep voice.

Sounds mean but watch how oher dogs do it (If you have more than one they have already worked this out) and copy them. If the dog struggles or seems inclined to argue notch it up. This is one argument you can never afford to lose. Use a vigorously wielded newspaper not your hands.

FarmerRob wrote:
Shock collar with a long range remote.

That will work eventually. The idea to get into the dog's head, tho, is that those are YOUR chickens and if you want them bit YOU will do it yourself

Actually it will work immediately. The only idea I want in his head is DON'T chase the chickens.

Using a leash, or beating the dog with a newspaper slows the process, since they aren't as likely to misbehave when you're right there, and they will associate the punishment with YOU.

Leaving them on their own and correcting them from a distance teaches them NOT to touch the chickens at all, which is the ultimate goal.

Being the "Alpha" doesn't matter when you're trying to correct something the dog does when you are not around

I broke my dog from chasing birds in less than an hour, with only 2 shocks, and he never knew I did it at all.
He just thought it was the chickens that caused it, so he stopped chasing them and never bothered them again.

Chickens003_edited.jpg

He just thought it was the chickens that caused it, so he stopped chasing them and never bothered them again.

You made a good point.​

We've had great luck with our older Labs. Similar to some of other posts, we used a leash for corrections (without the spiked collar) and lots of treats. The Labs are so food centric, treats should work great for reinforcing your commands.

PM sent on details.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom