30 degrees too cold for them!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heiditam, Nov 1, 2014.

1. heiditam

heiditam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Y'all. Seriously. These girls. Today was the first cold day. About 30 degrees and got a dusting of snow(it is already mostly melted). And the girls have been inside coop all day! They normally bolt out to range but not today. They hesitantly came out to eat scraps(one changed her mind halfway down stairs though), bit promptly went back in after they were done. They happily ate and drank inside coop. They have been just sitting on roost all day. They have never done this!!!! I guess they are cold but...30ish degrees is not that cold! Will they coop up all winter!? They are barred rocks, red stars, and columbian. So cold hardy enough. Sheesh. Do your girls react this way to minor coldness!?

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    mine are doing that too. Only coming out every now and then.

3. gclark94560

gclark94560 Chillin' With My Peeps

My 7 week old blue Orps are all out and playing, but try to keep in the sunny spots

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine will stay in mostly if there is snow on the ground and or wind.

They do venture out a bit, long enough to see if there is snow on the ground or wind...

5. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    Okay glad my girls are not the only ones lol :)

6. 10whiskers

10whiskers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Florida
    Mine, too and I'm in Florida!

We just had one of the craziest cold snaps with NE gusts up to 40mph. Six EE's, who have never laid, sit on the roost. I leave them alone until I go check on them at noon, then I hand feed their food, they get thirsty afterward and fly down to their water. Then they start to feed out of their feeder. I guess the flying down gets them a bit warm and or their tummies have had a taste and want more. I have no idea. I'm a newbie.

Before this cold snap, they would be scratching and feeding before nine in the morning. I guess they're like people - they want to stay under the covers longer.
    I would be more cheerful about cleaning their poop board if they would give me some eggs. Sigh...

7. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Mine are grumps during cold weather. They sit and eat that is about it! God forbid it snow and cover their precious run.......[​IMG]

8. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    Yup-exactly-they stayed on roosts. Awake but I guess cozy lol

My hubby thinks the snow freaked them out. They saw white and retreated.

9. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

Doing exactly what chickens do when it is cold and windy. They huddle together on roosts for warmth. The sit down on their feet to keep them warm and free of frost bite. Just make sure they have plenty of liquid water available. They will eat when they are hungry. You might add a little cracked corn and/or oats to their diet. It helps them generate more body heat. Make sure your coop is well ventilated especially if you have water inside for your birds. Eliminate as many drafts and direct wind points as you can. They will be fine. Mine survive the cold and rain much better than I do.

10. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    I keep feed and water outside in the run.... They have to go outside... keeps the coop cleaner... The run is covered so it is dry...

To see the coop, click on "MY COOP" in my profile...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by