30 week old hen is sick how do I make her feel better?

sunrisechicks67

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Hi, I'm new to byc and I have 5 hens, all egglayers. Yesterday, Cinnamon, a 30- week old hen was romping around and playing just like the other chickens but today, she seemed sick all of a sudden. When we let her out of the run to free-range, she was barely active compared to the other chickens. Her tail is droopy and she starts to fall asleep when standing up and doesn't eat much or drink. She also has a little diarrhea. We separated her from the other chickens and gave her a light, food and water. Any suggestions will be helpfull. We feel so sorrowful looking at the poor girl. Please help!

Is she new to your soil, or have you added anyone new lately, where she may have been exposed to a strain of coccidiosis that she has not built up some immunity to? Coccidiosis fits some of her symptoms, but I would check inside her vent an inch or so with a rubber glove for a stuck egg. Also she may need worming, and check her skin under her vent and all over for mites or lice. Coccidiosis is treated with Corid or amprollium, from a feed store in the cattle section.

No, Cinnamon is not new to our soil. We don't use any chemicals or pesticides either, and have not introduced anyone new. I have checked for lice and mites, but I'm pretty sure she does not have any. Her droppings include a yellowish diarrhea with some normal poop. Do you have any suggestions of what to feed her? Thanks for your advice!

Soft scrambled egg, low sodium canned tuna, chicken feed with water mixed in are all good to feed, and most chickens will like them. Probiotics are helpful with diarrhea. If you have checked her for egg binding, and found nothing, I would probably worm her next with fenbendazole (SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or equine paste,) or with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days. I would be tempted to give a 5 day treatment with Corid (amprollium) for coccidiosis because of her symptoms. Enteritis is also a possibility, and can be a problem later if coccidiosis is present. Here is a link about cocci and enteritis:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis

Sounds like my girl. Droopy tail, eyes closing, not eating/drinking. Check her crop make sure it's not impacted. That's what my girl had. and I treated for coccidiosis just to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom