300 broilers- UPDATE

Oldguy, that was very subtle.
hide.gif

I greatly appreciate all this wonderful advice & thoughts! Unfortunately, I haven't had time to discuss this further with DH or look into any laws, DH has been out of town, I've been sick, kids ornery as usual- just been one of those weeks!!!

I hope you do it, hon! It sounds like you have a great place in which to accomplish it and it also sounds like your husband has a great heart for others...and that is something not to be discouraged. It might seem insane to others but I call it big faith and that is much to be desired~I hope to develop the same amount of faith.
thumbsup.gif

When God is for you, who can stand against you?

Last edited:
I so appreciate what you are both going to do for your community. It is very similar to what has been placed on our hearts. You can do this! What a wonderful testimony this will be for you and your church when this project is completed and many are enjoying the fruits of your labor. "Many hands make light work". With others helping you, it will not only be a wonderful time of fellowship, but a huge growth experience for all involved. Be blessed!

Bless your DH and you for doing this! My best advice to you is to give unpasteurized apple cider vinegar in their water each and every time...it will replace lost electrolytes from their constant poops and it may also reculture their bowels enough that they won't have constant diarrhea.

That is the biggest problem I can see with raising the CX~and it is easily remedied if one just puts a little effort into it.

About how much ACV do you recommend per gallon of water??

thanks

My DH came home from a meeting at church yesterday and informed me he volunteered to raise 300 broilers for a church fundraiser. Oh my. He did get an earful about not asking me first!!! Last year was our first experience with meat birds, we raised 50 CRX in tractors in the backyard and LOVED it. Planned on doing 75 this year for ourselves. But we don't have experience raising that many!
Fortunately I think we have a good set-up for raising that many. We have a 500 sq ft shed that used to house several hundred leghorn layers & a good amount of yard we can fence off for them to free range during the day.
I'm more worried about the amount of work this will be! We've ordered the Featherman kit (scalder & the plucker & the cones) so that will help, and should have plenty of help processing- lots of people around here have raised chickens. We're planning on spreading out the work over several weekends & asking other church members to donate deep freezer storage room for the birds.
Any other advice from those with experience raising many broilers at a time? I'm really nervous that we'll do something wrong!
hide.gif

UPDATE 3/29: DH had another meeting regarding the fundraiser. The concern was raised regarding selling non- USDA inspected meat. Therefore, we've decided to donate chickens from the grocery store.
wink.png
I appreciate SO very much all the wonderful advice and encouragement I've received here!
The great news is, now I have a free building so I ordered my Bourbon Red turkeys I've been wanting!
smile.png
Yeah for the Bourbon Red Turkeys! I think personally you will find donating chickens from the store to be far less stressful and more enjoyable for you. Hugs!

Back
Top Bottom