-32 degrees actual temperature is not too cold - see pictures

"a lot of people posted "WHAT IS TOO COLD?"
Generally, when you come out the next morning to find stiff fowl, make a note of the overnight temperature and other conditions.

Inexplicably, half my flock (of nineteen) roost in a bare tree near the house - only thing I can think of might be the limited heat emanating from the wood fired chimney.

Ive never used the Producers Pride heat panel
You know those Teflon coated aluminium griddles they sell off for $9.99 each Thanksgiving/Black Friday? When the Teflon's no more they still heat nicely and the temperature is adjustable!

Now, couple it with a temperature-controlled outlet (for instance) and hang it on a wall in the coop or place it under the water container, etc.

The feet bolt on, so, removing them leaves four tapped holes (8/32" or something Metric, no doubt) one can use to fasten it to most anything. You can easily strip off all the plastic bits that add nothing to its new task. As well it is basically a quarter-inch +/- thick aluminum sheet with a 1120VAC Heating element 'embedded' about the circumference. There is a rim 'round most of the 'cooking' surface (to contain grease and such) which might be ground off if a 'perfectly' flat surface was required and the mounts for the feet might also be removed to 'thin out' the edge/elevation profile to allow slipping in in and out of a space adjacent the area/item to be warmed (while protecting it from any foul fowl).

https://www.amazon.com/Feekoon-Temperature-Controlled-32-Degrees-50-Degrees/dp/B0B6FNJ5PZ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2C2DQFS4ZSRHD&keywords=Thermostatically+Controlled+Outlet&qid=1705772158&s=hi&sprefix=thermostatically+controlled+outlet,tools,100&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Controlled-Thermostat-Compatible-Conditioner/dp/B0C4FFLRPR/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2C2DQFS4ZSRHD&keywords=Thermostatically+Controlled+Outlet&qid=1705772158&s=hi&sprefix=thermostatically+controlled+outlet,tools,100&sr=1-6

I've Used a: https://www.amazon.com/DIGITEN-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller-Thermometer/dp/B07SG5PHYJ/ref=sr_1_18?crid=2C2DQFS4ZSRHD&keywords=Thermostatically+Controlled+Outlet&qid=1705772158&s=hi&sprefix=thermostatically+controlled+outlet,tools,100&sr=1-18 To control teh griddle incubator warmer and chick nursery that has a false bottom the griddle slips into.

I've Used a: https://www.homedepot.com/p/15-Amp-...ically-Controlled-Double-Outlet-TC3/100210525 In my well enclosure to turn on a string of C-5 Xmas lights to warm things up in there. The idea being that, ALL the bulbs won't die at once - as with a single bulb or ceramic heater etc. Working for several Winters now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-20 124206.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-20 124206.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 3
With the last cold snap, a lot of people posted "WHAT IS TOO COLD. A couple of points, cause we all tend to think of our own set up when we consider this.
  • SD is pretty arid
  • I have a shed type coop
  • I have created out door in the run wind breaks that act as sun porches with some old shower doors and plexiglass, it is often quite a bit warmer in there.
View attachment 3725983View attachment 3725984View attachment 3725985
Good post. Nicely demonstrates how hardy properly acclimated chickens can be. Thanks for sharing.

You know those Teflon coated aluminium griddles they sell off for $9.99 each Thanksgiving/Black Friday? When the Teflon's no more they still heat nicely and the temperature is adjustable!

Now, couple it with a temperature-controlled outlet (for instance) and hang it on a wall in the coop or place it under the water container, etc.

The feet bolt on, so, removing them leaves four tapped holes (8/32" or something Metric, no doubt) one can use to fasten it to most anything. You can easily strip off all the plastic bits that add nothing to its new task. As well it is basically a quarter-inch +/- thick aluminum sheet with a 1120VAC Heating element 'embedded' about the circumference. There is a rim 'round most of the 'cooking' surface (to contain grease and such) which might be ground off if a 'perfectly' flat surface was required and the mounts for the feet might also be removed to 'thin out' the edge/elevation profile to allow slipping in in and out of a space adjacent the area/item to be warmed (while protecting it from any foul fowl).

https://www.amazon.com/Feekoon-Temperature-Controlled-32-Degrees-50-Degrees/dp/B0B6FNJ5PZ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2C2DQFS4ZSRHD&keywords=Thermostatically+Controlled+Outlet&qid=1705772158&s=hi&sprefix=thermostatically+controlled+outlet,tools,100&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Controlled-Thermostat-Compatible-Conditioner/dp/B0C4FFLRPR/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2C2DQFS4ZSRHD&keywords=Thermostatically+Controlled+Outlet&qid=1705772158&s=hi&sprefix=thermostatically+controlled+outlet,tools,100&sr=1-6

I've Used a: https://www.amazon.com/DIGITEN-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller-Thermometer/dp/B07SG5PHYJ/ref=sr_1_18?crid=2C2DQFS4ZSRHD&keywords=Thermostatically+Controlled+Outlet&qid=1705772158&s=hi&sprefix=thermostatically+controlled+outlet,tools,100&sr=1-18 To control teh griddle incubator warmer and chick nursery that has a false bottom the griddle slips into.

I've Used a: https://www.homedepot.com/p/15-Amp-...ically-Controlled-Double-Outlet-TC3/100210525 In my well enclosure to turn on a string of C-5 Xmas lights to warm things up in there. The idea being that, ALL the bulbs won't die at once - as with a single bulb or ceramic heater etc. Working for several Winters now.
Thank you for your thoughtfulness with offering these suggestions! I really appreciate hearing about the methods that work for you. Very creative also! And, thank you for all of the links for me to check out. 🙂

I find this amazing. I posted this, so that people would realize that chickens do just fine in dang cold weather, and it turned into let me tell you how to provide heat to the birds.

Unless you are an electrician, most things providing heat are a fire waiting to happen. The cold probably won't kill them, but a fire dang sure will.

Mrs K

I do the same thing with a few of mine. My porcelain d’Anvers rooster wants picked up a lot. I’ll feel him shivering, so I put him in my coat to warm him and continue with chores. I think you’ll like the heat panel. Mine are Cozy Coop brand. I set them on low, and it’s really warm to the touch. A few nights I set them on high. The birds appreciated it. Every time I checked, they were in front of them. ❤️
S
Ive never used the Producers Pride heat panel, but I imagine it’s good too. I’m sure your d’Uccles are going to appreciate a little warmth from that panel. After they figure out what it does, you’ll probably find them there. 🙂 Wow, you’re rooster jumps on your back. I hope he’s bantam-sized! 🤣 My Seramas do that too, and I’m playing catch the teeny flying chicken every day!
He is a bantam, but not quite as teeny as the Seramas! Still, I'm just glad he isnt as large as most, because he is quite feisty and wants all hens to himself! He was supposed to be a bantam "green queen" EE. He is extremely protective of all the hens, and so good to them. I put one of my d'uccles in the nesting box near the heating panel, and she was very upset to be moved. So I let her go back to her usual spot last night. Saw a couple of my bigger gals had laid eggs in that nesting box today though..Going to try again tonight. Hope all is well with you and your flock! 😊

S

He is a bantam, but not quite as teeny as the Seramas! Still, I'm just glad he isnt as large as most, because he is quite feisty and wants all hens to himself! He was supposed to be a bantam "green queen" EE. He is extremely protective of all the hens, and so good to them. I put one of my d'uccles in the nesting box near the heating panel, and she was very upset to be moved. So I let her go back to her usual spot last night. Saw a couple of my bigger gals had laid eggs in that nesting box today though..Going to try again tonight. Hope all is well with you and your flock! 😊
I had to bring my Porcelain d’Anvers inside. He was shaking uncontrollably when I checked early this morning. I’m surprised, since their building stays above 40 degrees. I set him up in a huge cardboard box in my utility room for the next few days, with air purifier running 24/7. He’s doing really well now. I think he got chilled and had a hard time warming back up. I really love the little guy. ❤️ It sounds like you’ve got a terrific rooster. Must be a favorite of yours too. 🥰 I’m glad the heat panel has attracted some interest from your girls. I imagine the d’Uccles will cozy up to it if they get to feeling too cold. I hope they’re doing well, along with the rest of your flock. My flocks are making it through, but a few are a little grumpy with all the snow.

Isn't Teflon very dangerous/deadly for birds? Wouldn't you have to make sure that ALL of the Teflon is removed from the pan before using? I'm not sure I'd feel safe using this.
(I didn't know Teflon was dangerous to birds before reading this site.)

Last edited:
Isn't Teflon very dangerous/deadly for birds? Wouldn't you have to make sure that ALL of the Teflon is removed from the pan before using? I'm not sure I'd feel safe using this.
(I didn't know Teflon was dangerous to birds before reading this site.)
I second this. I would not mess with anything coated in PTFE. Plus, damaged PTFE (i.e. almost gone as suggested in the post) undergoes pyrolysis at much lower temperatures. Better ways to heat water bowls exist and as for providing heat to birds - well, see the first post of this thread, I guess.
Sorry for the topic shift, Mrs. K, but this seemed worth addressing.

My hens are ages 5 to 10 years old, 11 in February. They have never went through a winter without supplemental heat. An oil filled radiating heater on cinder blocks and chains suspending it from ceiling also for safety. I often find all the girls hanging round it on cold days. Maybe they could survive without it, but when I see the comfort they get from it, how could I deny them that?

Back
Top Bottom