-32 degrees actual temperature is not too cold - see pictures

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
With the last cold snap, a lot of people posted "WHAT IS TOO COLD. A couple of points, cause we all tend to think of our own set up when we consider this.
  • SD is pretty arid
  • I have a shed type coop
  • I have created out door in the run wind breaks that act as sun porches with some old shower doors and plexiglass, it is often quite a bit warmer in there.
IMG_3668.jpeg
IMG_3669.jpeg
IMG_3666.jpeg

With the last cold snap, a lot of people posted "WHAT IS TOO COLD. A couple of points, cause we all tend to think of our own set up when we consider this.
  • SD is pretty arid
  • I have a shed type coop
  • I have created out door in the run wind breaks that act as sun porches with some old shower doors and plexiglass, it is often quite a bit warmer in there.
View attachment 3725983View attachment 3725984View attachment 3725985
Great set up! Do you feel this (cold resistance) applies to small bantam breeds? I have 2 that sleep in corners by themselves. The rest of the flock stay on roosting bars.

Great set up! Do you feel this (cold resistance) applies to small bantam breeds? I have 2 that sleep in corners by themselves. The rest of the flock stay on roosting bars.
Many bantams do quite well in the cold. It mainly depends on breed. I can only say that my bantam flock (mostly Seramas) gets extra winter care because they aren’t cold-hardy (but, I was well-aware of that when I began raising them and was prepared). If your 2 bantams aren’t shivering and seem well-acclimated, then they’re probably fine. Maybe just put some extra bedding in their corner and make sure they’re getting enough food and water. And, if you’re still concerned (and I’d completely understand that), pick them up and feel if they’re shivering. Feel under their wings. If it feels really warm, then they’re probably fine. I go out of my way to keep my micro flock warm, but thats just ME being a worrier. Ultimately, do what YOU feel is best for them. 🙂

I have never had bantams. But I will point out the wild birds are smaller than them.
Just today, it’s 14 degrees where I live here in Ohio. I was watching the wild birds outside the kitchen window eating their seeds and thinking of how truly amazing they are to be able to handle such a temperature. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom