32 square feet

2hotchicks

Songster
Sep 19, 2019
Southern Indiana
Sorry, this may just be a rant. After much discussion & fanfare, we are now allowed up to 4 chickens per household (no roosters). The chicken coop and attached chicken run can’t exceed 32 square feet.
So, I see a new neighbor building a big a** garage that is taller than the house, & my chickens are restricted to 32 sq total? We live in a housing addition adjacent to fields, woods, & a river. We have many resident predators.
So, now that I have vented, maybe my first step is to contact one of the "pro chicken" people mentioned in the newspaper for advice on changing the ordinance?
My little coop is clean & looks cute in the yard but it's too small for more than the 2 chickens I have, even with a "playpen" I drag around the yard so they can forage safely.
I'm frustrated my neighbor can
build a monstrosity & I'm stuck with a tiny coop & run.

Is the neighbors garage allowed to be that big? Do you have an HOA, or is it city/county/township that is limiting your chickens?
It has been my experience (in Ohio) that in a code somewhere are written restrictions on detached buildings (like a barn/garage) and address building additions (sunroom, home, garage) taking into account so many feet from property lines, etc. Also, for detached buildings, it is common that the size of home and/or lot determine the max size of any detached building. Also, sheds are usually capped at a certain size without a building permit. Which makes me wonder why you couldn’t just put in a big a** shed for your chickens...

Is the neighbors garage allowed to be that big? Do you have an HOA, or is it city/county/township that is limiting your chickens?
It has been my experience (in Ohio) that in a code somewhere are written restrictions on detached buildings (like a barn/garage) and address building additions (sunroom, home, garage) taking into account so many feet from property lines, etc. Also, for detached buildings, it is common that the size of home and/or lot determine the max size of any detached building. Also, sheds are usually capped at a certain size without a building permit. Which makes me wonder why you couldn’t just put in a big a** shed for your chickens...
We're seriously wondering if the garage is legal, due to its size & placement. We live in a city, no HOA. I like your big a** shed idea, got me thinking.....

We're seriously wondering if the garage is legal, due to its size & placement. We live in a city, no HOA. I like your big a** shed idea, got me thinking.....

I’d call building department to see if legal/correct. It would be waaay easier to modify during build stage rather than after. If you are in a city, I’m confident that you can quite possibly find this info online too - general building restrictions, Shed sizes, what requires permit, what doesn’t, allowed height of buildings and additions, etc. but your building department will likely be helpful. You could even call and ask about your lot (as if you want to build an addition/garage) and then get appropriate info. If it differs from what your neighbor is doing, then might tell the building department to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom