33 week Buff Orpington not laying!

kyleann33

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
We have 4 chickens all the same age, 33 weeks. 2 Buffs, a Barred Rock and a Dominique. The Barred Rock, Dominique and 1 Buff all started laying around 21 weeks. The other Buff is our biggest chicken, she grew the fastest and we thought she would lay first. But she hasn't laid any eggs, and has hardly any comb and wattle. We've found 2 rubber eggs in the coop under the roost bar this week, and suspect her. We offer free choice oyster shells for calcium, organic layer feed, plenty of fresh water and apple cider vinegar in one water pan. What else can we try? I can't figure out why she would be so old and not be laying! Thanks for any advice.

I'm not entirely sure why she wouldn't be laying, either. Most chickens start laying between 20 and 28 weeks old.

However, each chicken matures at its own rate. She may just not be ready to begin laying. The soft shelled eggs could be a sign of this. New layers often have some problems with their first eggs.

Does she act healthy? Small or shriveled comb and wattles can be a sign that a chicken is sick.

Lastly, are you sure that she's a "she"?

Last edited:
In the same boat. Have 3 buffs at 32 weeks. 2 have been laying for 8 weeks, the third is not. She too, has an smaller cone and waddles. Any advice, anyone?

She does act healthy, we're outside a lot during the day and I've been watching her closely to see if anything is wrong. I'm pretty positive she's female, wouldn't her comb/wattles/crowing have happened by now if she was a rooster? We had 1 rooster in the bunch and he started crowing at 14 weeks, and his comb & wattle were very large and red.

Definitely not a rooster. She more than likely just hasn't started her cycle yet, like hitting puberty late, she should be soon especially since you've got rubber eggs. She's just slow to mature.

Back
Top Bottom