34 week old Golden comets and no eggs

chickmill

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
I got 3 (30 week old) Golden comets about 4 weeks ago, they have layed 2 eggs in that time and none at all in the last two weeks. Initially I thought that they may not be laying because of the transition but they've used up that excuse. I have been feeding them D/P Poultry crumble mix and food scraps (mostly veg/fruit peelings). They don't seem to eat much of the crumble but love the food scraps.

Their coup has 3 nest boxes filed with straw. I've been pretty thorough with my daily searches for eggs but nothing!!!

Any thoughts on this?

Man, I don't know what to tell you. Our Golden Comets were laying regularly by 18-19 weeks. I hope you find a hidden stash somewhere.

I would bet money that they are laying, but in a hidden nest.

I too free range, but not until the afternoon when almost all of my hens have finished laying. The last couple of stragglers will come into the nesting boxes to lay even when they are free ranging. But, I kept my chickens in their run until they had been laying for at least a month or two. I did this to train my chickens to use their nesting boxes.

Yes I agree that they are laying somewhere hidden, When I got my barred rocks a couple of weeks ago they were laying well for the lady that I bought them off of and when they came here I was getting NO eggs......until I found thier nest in the woods that had 9 eggs in it. I would keep them in thier coop for a couple of days and see what happens!! I would also watch them when they are free ranging I bet you could follow them right to that hidden nest. Good Luck with the investigating!!
big_smile.png

Sheesh ours started at 16 weeks 3 days and we've been averaging 10 eggs daily from 12 birds. Now, ours are in a covered run and the nest boxes are only a hop and a skip away...we're getting a high percentage of double-yolkers too.

O.K. that sounds like great advise so I'm giving it a go, my poor girls did not know what hit them this morning but Mama has to get tough, no eggs, no outside. Still no egg at 2:30pm but I think you might be onto something. I will report back tomorrow:(

Thanks

!!! I really hope they lay for you!!! It may take more than one day because of the change in the daily habit but I will lay money down that they have been laying for a while now, I am just surprised that you dont have little chicks running around lol, unless something is eating the eggs out of the "hidden" nest when they go into the coop at night. Cant wait till tommorrow to hear more news lol

Back
Top Bottom