34-year-old horse

Golden paste w turmeric can help arthritis in horses. There are recipes online and they get 1-2 Tblsp in feed each day. Or there are CBD horse supplements that help as well.

Hand grazing and walking around can help with connection and keep him moving. Or a sloooow meandering short trail ride. My oldsters loved being messed with and socialized and had a better mental outlook it seemed keeping up with some light activity and a routine.

He’s my buddy. I’m actually adopting a horse from a rescue next year. I miss riding. Plus, he’ll have a friend. ❤️
That's so fantastic..:wee:hugs
Kupid and I have been partners since he was 7 and very green. He threw me the first time I rode him when trying him out and I bought him on the spot. He definitely takes care of me and our connection is unbreaking..:hugs
I trained him myself. :hugs

He’s my buddy. I’m actually adopting a horse from a rescue next year. I miss riding. Plus, he’ll have a friend. ❤️
Oh that will be great. Even if they can just look at each other over a fence is good. I have a mini now to keep Kupid company now. They are in separate pens but definitely like each other.

Oh that will be great. Even if they can just look at each other over a fence is good. I have a mini now to keep Kupid company now. They are in separate pens but definitely like each other.
They’ll be slowly introduced, but I don’t have a way to keep them separate. I think he’ll do fine. He’s always alpha horse.

Wow, he does look good for 34!

My trainer has a QH I used to ride a few years back, but now he's got to be around 30 and has arthritis, too. I know she'll use him from time to time in little kids' lessons (where the kid probably weighs no more than 50 pounds or more likely less) in short walk and trot lessons, although sometimes his knees bother him too much to do that.

Yours sounds like he's an awesome horse and has deserved retirement. :) I sure wish Duke, my trainer's QH, were younger so I could ride him again--apparently he was a great barrel racer back in his day.

I am in the minority here, but I think light riding would be good for him. Start slow and see how it goes. It seems to me exercise would help his mobility issues as long as you don't overdo it. It certainly helps with people. I am in my 70's and my doctor sent me to the gym.

I agree with Cassie. We don't fully retire our horses until they tell us they need to be retired. My daughter competed with my Arab until he was 32 yrs old, including 6-10 mile trail rides.

The barn I manage right now has multiple lesson horses in their 20's, the oldest is 26 yrs old and still WTC AND jumping.

My personal horses are 24, 24, 43 and 13. They "oldies" all definitely benefit from light exercise, and I am quite sure they look forward to it. Two of the oldest will self load onto the trailer from 100' away, ready to go to work!

I do think it would help him mentally. :) I rode him 2 years ago, and he loved it. I think I’ll talk to my vet when he comes out soon. I would love to ride him again. I think he deserves his retirement, but he may enjoy the occasional ride, too.

Back
Top Bottom