35 Week Leghorn Hen: Still No Laying

Beakner

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
I have a 35 week old leghorn hen, purchased as a 6 week old pullet, who has yet to lay a single egg. Is such behavior normal now that we are in the fall? For some reason I thought leghorns were some of the best layers, beginning the process at an earlier age than most.

Quote:
Most leghorns start laying around 20 weeks of age, are you sure she isn't laying?

To this I might add, are you sure that 'she' is a leghorn and a hen?

Quote:
Most leghorns start laying around 20 weeks of age, are you sure she isn't laying?

To this I might add, are you sure that 'she' is a leghorn and a hen?

Very good point

I had my leghorn rooster in waiting to be processed .. until the main rooster in the group mounted him... her ... she is now back in the yard with all the other ladies...she is beautiful, has red large comb thats why I thought she was a "he"..,,( not laying yet, never saw her go to nests) ... glad I didn't make GUMBO out of her....G

The best way you can tell if your Leghorn is a hen or rooster, is if it has pointed hackle and saddle feathers..then its a boy and you wont get any eggs from him for sure!
Hens combs tend to fall to one side. If they mature towards fall, chances are, that the hens wont start laying until later....
My Avatar shows one of my Leghorn Roosters. Might help.

There is no doubt my Leghorn is a hen. She exhibits all the primary characteristics including the flopping crest.

More, she is the only white-laying hen in my small flock. The rest are brown layers. I have a diminutive backyard, reducing the chances she has laid in an obscure space hidden from view.

I'm simply puzzled that as mature as she is, there is no indication she will lay anytime soon.

She sure eats enough feed, though.

Here I have six hens and yet I have to buy eggs at the store every week. Argh!
smile.png

But one more question for you do you have lighting so she has 14 hrs of light?????? They need 14 hrs of light to lay!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom