35 Week Leghorn Hen: Still No Laying

Quote:
I have a RIR and a Barred Rock and they lay despite the lack of light. Their production has plummeted as the weather has cooled. Still, they lay.

The answer to your question is no. She experiences maybe 11 hours of light this time of year.

Update: The late-bloomer laid an egg today, her first.

What an interminable wait that was. Sheesh.

Yeah! Hope she continues to lay well for you. My WL started laying at 19 weeks and within a week she started giving me soft shells and no egg days
sad.png

You give me hope!
lol.png
I have a 33-34 wk old white leghorn who looks plenty mature to be laying, but isn't. I've looked high and low in every nook and cranny she could possibly be laying (limited area since they are in a fenced pen). She is the only one that could lay white eggs as the rest of my flock are brown (incl. dark brown), blue and green egg layers. The rest of the pullets that we got at the same time (other breeds, but same age) are all laying beautiful eggs. She has the big floppy comb already, but she doesn't seem interested in the roo, so I am guessing she isn't quite there yet. Maybe she's holding out for more light with the rest of our established flock (why conform and lay with the other youngun's?
lol.png
).

One of my 2 WL ladies is in her 4th month of laying nice white eggs. Her sister, same age (9 months) and development, has still not laid an egg. They are not free ranging for the 3 months of hunting season, so I know she's not hiding them. Her bones are spaced correctly, she squats, but has never shown interest in the nest boxes. Note: she has pale yellow ears!

One of my 2 WL ladies is in her 4th month of laying nice white eggs. Her sister, same age (9 months) and development, has still not laid an egg. They are not free ranging for the 3 months of hunting season, so I know she's not hiding them. Her bones are spaced correctly, she squats, but has never shown interest in the nest boxes. Note: she has pale yellow ears!

My 36 wk Brown Leghorn has yet to lay an egg. The other five all lat brown eggs so I’ll know when she blesses us with her gift. She seems content to be my freeloader. Ruthie is also on the bottom of the pecking order. Don’t know if that factors in . D6B02414-D51F-4F04-BC41-ABF373453DBB.jpeg

My 36 wk Brown Leghorn has yet to lay an egg. The other five all lat brown eggs so I’ll know when she blesses us with her gift. She seems content to be my freeloader. Ruthie is also on the bottom of the pecking order. Don’t know if that factors in . View attachment 1949878
Thank you for the reassurance. Yep, looks like I have freeloader too. I'll give her a few more weeks.

Thank you for the reassurance. Yep, looks like I have freeloader too. I'll give her a few more weeks.

With daylight getting shorter I’m not looking for eggs from myBL until spring and that’s okay. Unless it’s a matter of funds you might consider giving her until Spring before deciding to make a decision on what to do with her. I’ve become attached to my girls and will keep her regardless. One less egg is less important than the pleasure I get from watching them. Good luck with your ladies. :fl

With daylight getting shorter I’m not looking for eggs from myBL until spring and that’s okay. Unless it’s a matter of funds you might consider giving her until Spring before deciding to make a decision on what to do with her. I’ve become attached to my girls and will keep her regardless. One less egg is less important than the pleasure I get from watching them. Good luck with your ladies. :fl
She will let me pick her up. Unusual for Leghorns. So she's one of the girls. At least I know she won't start crowing. Thank you for replying.

Back
Top Bottom