~38 week old Ameracauna cross has not started laying yet?

onthefarmnj

Songster
Sep 3, 2019
I bought three hens at the same time, a cuckoo Maran, a silver-laced barnvelder, and an Ameracauna cross (it's not quite an easter-egger, it is a specific cross breed that is being deliberately produced by the breeder - I forget what it's been crossed with). They are around 38-39 weeks old. The Maran and the barnvelder have been laying now for almost 2 months, which kind of surprised me because I didn't think they would start laying in the winter. So now I'm wondering, since they are laying, why isn't the Ameracauna? I checked a week ago to see if she would squat for me, and she did. Do hens still squat when laying has shut down for the winter? Should eggs be forthcoming, or could there be something wrong with her?

I think it might be because it's winter. Some pullets wait until spring to start laying. Like you said, you were surprised the other two started laying in winter. Is she otherwise acting normal? Does she eat and drink normally? Now that the days are getting longer, she may start laying at any time.

Yes, she is acting fine and looks quite healthy, although she is a little on the small side (maybe that's why she's late to the party). I will keep my fingers crossed and keep looking for those eggs!

First thing that comes to mind is how do you know she is not laying? If it's because you are not getting green/blue eggs, she might be laying brown. Just a thought.

I only have two birds laying and I know who they are because I've caught them in the act. Also the breeder knows this cross gives light blue eggs.

I will check her pelvic points, thanks!

We had some dark brown leghorns from a February hatch. February!

the first one to lay (Note they are Leghorns), did so around 36+ weeks, next one, around 45 weeks, and the third one did not lay one single egg before sold around 46 weeks old (all three sold together). Usually Leghorns are quicker to lay, but this strain (from an exhibition line) was not known for prolific egg-laying, but still was way longer than expected especially since they were a February hatch.

We had some dark brown leghorns from a February hatch. February!

the first one to lay (Note they are Leghorns), did so around 36+ weeks, next one, around 45 weeks, and the third one did not lay one single egg before sold around 46 weeks old (all three sold together). Usually Leghorns are quicker to lay, but this strain (from an exhibition line) was not known for prolific egg-laying, but still was way longer than expected especially since they were a February hatch.

Wow, that's a long time to wait!

I have a wonderful Speckled Sussex that laid a couple of eggs in her life but I don't count on her. She is my favorite (and only) freeloader! She acts like a friendly puppy not a chicken! She follows me and pecks my leg or shoe for attention. I have to be careful or she will slip out the gate with me! I love her so I don't care that she doesn't lay eggs! Chickens are all different and once in a while you get one that doesn't lay, just keep her and love her! :love

Sadie Thompson.jpg

I have a wonderful Speckled Sussex that laid a couple of eggs in her life but I don't count on her. She is my favorite (and only) freeloader! She acts like a friendly puppy not a chicken! She follows me and pecks my leg or shoe for attention. I have to be careful or she will slip out the gate with me! I love her so I don't care that she doesn't lay eggs! Chickens are all different and once in a while you get one that doesn't lay, just keep her and love her! :love

View attachment 2008706
That is so sweet !:love And look at her! What a cutie pie! I've never had a hen that didn't lay, but I would keep one too in that situation. They are not just for eggs. My Lucy (avatar) laid her last egg last June. I was hoping she would stop soon because her eggs were getting very large with very thin shells. I didn't want one to break inside her. She is almost 4 yrs old and I hope to have her for many more years. :love

That is so sweet !:love And look at her! What a cutie pie! I've never had a hen that didn't lay, but I would keep one too in that situation. They are not just for eggs. My Lucy (avatar) laid her last egg last June. I was hoping she would stop soon because her eggs were getting very large with very thin shells. I didn't want one to break inside her. She is almost 4 yrs old and I hope to have her for many more years. :love
Lucy is a beauty and I'm sure she will be with you for many more years!

Back
Top Bottom