39 eggs in incubator question

sjutton

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 3, 2008
Upstate South Carolina
Ok, this is our third hatch.

First hatch - nothing - long story revolving around oil on eggs.
sad.png

Second hatch - 9 out of 14 - we were pleased and the chicks are now around 4 months and we are looking forward to eggs!

Third hatch - 39 eggs - due this wednesday - we are acting as surrogate parents for the lady we got our fertile eggs from since she has had a predator issue. New coop and now she's ready to restock her flock.

Now for the question: I see egg cartons used in LOTS of your pictures. With the 14 we just put them on the grate thing. With 39 should I use the carton approach? Is it safer for the chicks that are still working on coming through? Or will the early birds still step on them?
hmm.png

Any help would be so appreciated!

I have always used the egg cartons for YEARS now. I do it so there isn't as much mess and clean up, it seems easier on the chicks because they don't get rolled around and drown in the egg, and they don't get stepped on as much, BUT I really started doing my hatches this way to save space. When you are hatching out 600 chicks at a time, this is much easier on me too.

you need to be carefull with the card board , if you need to get your humidity up with damp cloths ever as the cardboard absorbs the damp and then it stays in one area on the egg. This has happened to me and I read another post that had had the same problem good luck
smile.png

We're in the same boat - I've got 41 eggs and a LG and I don't think that many cartons will fit but I was wondering too about the cardboard vs the styrofoam.

Is the styrofoam better?

Back
Top Bottom