3day old babys

erik520

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
mount airy
I just got my chicks from TS last night. ive reaed chicks befor but ive never seen chicks do this, thay have a bad case of the runs and there little buts are covered.also thay are laying down and now cherping any the heat sorce is a 125 watt clear bulb and a thermostat the keep the babys at 95*f i put i tbs of sugar yesterday in there water and none to day. is this normal for leg horns and gold sexlinks. ive had RIR last year and they were very stong. did i miss some thing? or do some thing wrong?

Eric,
I don't have the answer for you as I have never encountered that before and I am relatively new to the baby chick world. I think you might get more help though if you put "Help! 3 Day old babies w/ runny poop problem." Good luck!

The sugar water may have caused the pasty butt. After a day or two with plain water they should get better. Just keep them clean so they don't get their vents clogged and they should be fine. Good Luck

If they paste over again - clean them up then put a dab of olive oil on the washed area to prevent poo sticking.

Keep their litter super super clean - even if you have to change it twice a day, it's better than dead chicks.

I wouldn't give them any more sugar water but see if you can find some electrolytes - even pedialyte has a better balance of stuff for them and is less likely to cause more runnies.

What are you feeding? What were they being fed?

It could be simple stress. It could be coccidia. Good luck in either case.

Temperature issues can cause pasting - - either too high or too low. They probably experienced this just in the purchasing/transport process (too cold), and then there was the added stress of a new situation.

This should calm down in a day or two, but you will want to be sure you:

* feed chick starter and fresh water, available all the time
* keep brooder temp at proper level (as you are doing)
* clean the pasting (as you are doing)

As you may know, picking the dried droppings off can injure the chick. You have probably already developed a method of cleaning them, but I have had good luck with holding their little bums under a gently-running bathroom faucet (warm water). I gently dab with a damp paper towel or rag until the bits soften and fall off. Sometimes this can take a few minutes, but they will fall off. Dry the chick off and bingo, all done.

You should not have to do this more than once or twice. If they are healthy and your brooder conditions are good, pasting is a very temporary occurrence.

Hope that helps. Please keep us posted on how they do!
smile.png

the pasting got worse befor it got better. this morning all there little buts were in bad shape. again i cleaned them and changed the water. by tonight thay were fine no more problems.i glad i didnt have a sickness.i belive it was the water to be honest. thay must have got shugar water twice.

Back
Top Bottom