3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Quote:
Your little Bobby is delightful
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif

Thanks, he's a pretty calm roo and the camera loves him.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Your little Bobby is delightful
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif

big_smile.png

He really does make me want to get some Quail in the spring
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
The Christmas hat pic was just so very awesome
love.gif
hugs.gif

Here is my entry for most colorful rooster contest. This is my Welsummer Roo D-eggo
gig.gif
love.gif
love.gif
He is just so very sweet and laid back but trying to photograph him is not easy. He sees the camera and takes off
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
I have a ton of pics of his cute butt though
gig.gif
lau.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif

clroo.jpg

Quote:
big_smile.png

He really does make me want to get some Quail in the spring
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
The Christmas hat pic was just so very awesome
love.gif
hugs.gif

I just posted some eggs on the auction boards(hint hint), some may be Bobby's chicks.
lol.png

Seriously though cots are a lot of fun. If you do get some I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Sometimes I can't win for losing.

Lost my White Crested Blue Cuckoo Polish chick today, almost 3 weeks old. No clue what cause it's demise.
Then I just went in the coop to check on the girls to make certain they all made up on the roosts OK (I have a blind OE that I always take out of the nest box and put on the roost) ... as I walked in there door there was one of my beautiful little wheaten ameraucana pullets on the floor dead. I think one of the big girls knocked her of because she was on the highest roost when I went in about an hour earlier.

Oh well. It's good I'm hatching some replacements.

Well, we threw away another 15 eggs tonight. All were non starters or very, very early quitters. All candled clear. That leaves us with 18 out of 41. I think we've decided that trying to hatch shipped eggs is a waste of money. Our first try was 18 Turken, 3 hatched and one had a really bad leg at hatch, and had to be put down. So 1/6 hatched. This was 24 eggs of varied breeds, and 5 are left. Personally, I think most of these were not fertilized. The previous few we through away at day 10 from the shipped eggs were all not fertilized. I think moving forward, unless I can pick up eggs locally to hatch, we'll hatch only our own and we'll get day old chicks to raise instead. Not as much fun as hatching, but, frankly, it isn't much fun throwing more than half an incubator away. Our test group, 17 of our own eggs, have done quite well. We've only pitched 4, all not fertilized, and all from a hen that died last week from unknown reasons, and she very well could have had internal reproductive issues.

I'm sure people have had good luck with shipped eggs. We haven't. We would have been perfectly happy with a 50% hatch rate from those. Disappointing...

But, on the flip side, everything that was progressing seems to be fine, so we could very well have a hatch of 18 eggs, which would certainly fill our main brooder
smile.png

Well, my eggs are still going (after tossing 20 clears), but I've got a hen in the 'hospital cage' for a horrible dry/wet fowl pox. Not sure how she got it, the skeeters have been laying low. But it's classic. Poor thing. It's a bad chicken week!

Last edited:
Quote:
Nancy, both of the Lavendars were in Meg's bator and her temp spiked to 120.
hit.gif

So sorry Nancy.
sad.png

I've a new thermostat and will be testing the bator with junque eggs before I try any pretties again. So sorry.

Back
Top Bottom