Quote:
I was lucky to get 7 of Jim's beautiful Iowa Blues and 4 are going strong
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif

fl.gif
that they do well.

The Iowa Blues are pretty - but mine did not work well in an urban setting. My roo crowed non stop
sad.png
He had to leave and his two girls went with him. He was soooo pretty though.

Last edited:
hoping everyone has a great hatch as hatch day is soon approching. wasnt able to particapte but good luck to everyone on those very lovly chickies
smile.png

19 eggs locked down. I'm guessing I'll have pips by 2PM tomorrow. Who knows.

Temp steady at 99.6. Humidity steady at 70%... hope that's not too high, usually I set it at 67%, but I've had stuck eggs before and then I've seen great hatchers who say, UP THE HUMIDITY.

If anyone disagrees, tell me why. I want to get at least 10 chicks out of these 19 eggs.

So Laree, How many are out? Did I count 12 so far out of the 36? I think that lite colored special needs won't make it... but I hope it does.
6 of the FBCMs are purebred, 2 are BWA X FBCM=Olive Eggers.

I'm guessing my olive colored egg will be one of the first out. It's mama is a BWA X FBCM and reddish colored (from halo)

I have no clue why, but I am bushed. So VERY TIRED.

I'm building my TWO grow out pens tomorrow. they'll be both be 8X8, side by side, 6ft high on the north, 5.5 feet high on the south. South ends closed on three sides, north ends with chicken wire. I'll put 3 nest boxes in each that I can gather from the outside. We'll also paint it... I'm thinking about putting shingles on the roof.

I figure if I stay busy enough, I'll be far enough away from the bator to not open it. It will also be good to make my 23 year old and my 19 year old learn some carpentry skills. I offered $$ for a local handyman to build it for me but he hasn't followed through. I have a skill saw, a auto screw driver and a measuring tape and paint brushes. That's all I need once I've bought the required wood.

I'll take pics of the build so you can see it. No down in the mouth work until Tuesday and Monday is the pre-surgical appointment with the vet that will decrow Junior (BWA) and Fred (SWA)... both sons of Geoffrey.

Let's see how long I can stay asleep.

G'nite... I HOPE.

Has anyonetried to Dry Atch their eggs? I half-assed it an got at least a 45% hatch rate, with button quail about a month ago.and the eggs were dirty and at least a week old. My tempetature was always too high or too low.

If I can figure out how to wire up a thermostat, if I can get a hold of one, I'm sure my rates wil double.

It also works wih chicken and duck egg. 6 or 18 chicken and 1 of 3 ducks hatched. Most of my Coturnix quail ggs didn't hatch,but that was bc of infertlity. And heavy inbreeding over the years.. I don't know anyone who has any, so I couldn't get new blood.

I ried more hatching, and got a 40% hatch rate... it woulda been better had I not comple:)tely forgotten th egs werein the incubator..

Simple to say, I am an idiot.

But I did get an albino quail.

Another broody.................my green singing finch hen has been sitting since the day before Christmas. I don't know how many eggs are in the clutch, because I haven't caught her off the nest yet for a single second. Her first clutch (several months ago), they hatched and raised two chicks.

smile.png

Deb

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom