3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Quote:
HAHAHahhaaaa poor stupid NN chick. Ya know she just wants to be your pocket pet.
big_smile.png

Is that what is going on??? But all it does, once it regains conscieness, is go chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp... which drives me crazy... so back in the warm box it goes! Are they all this stupid???

Not at all. Mine are quite "bright" for chickens. The ones that I notice are incredibly stupid are the roosters, naked necked or not. For some reason the roosters are always the last of the juvies to figure out how to get into the coop at night. They're always sitting on the people porch waiting for me to let them in or roosting on the pop door.

46869_272439_192602760794293_100001337108712_486033_1146593_o.jpg

My naked necks are pretty smart (for chickens).. they are all girls, tho..
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
. My 'special' chicken is a BO rooster, but he was scalped as a chick so he's excused for being a bit derpy.
smile.png

Please SOMEONE talk (type) some sense into me. I got an email today, finally, about someone interested in my ducklings.

Now I'm all attached to the 5 of them.

Is 5 really much worse than 3? Is this how duck math starts?

I figure if I do keep all 5 and a lot of them end up being drakes we'll butcher them for food (after all, in about 4 months we will need to do the roos from this hatch). Neither of us has ever had duck, but I hear it is delicious.

Crazy though, I am starting to hear mini-quacks coming out of the brooder. Not sure if only the girls do this, or if the boys do too, but it's giving me hope for a good flock of girls.

SCG, 5 are no more difficult to raise and keep than 3. Plus, that's five ducky smiles to greet you every day!

I have nine. 8 Cayugas (four drakes, four hens) and one call drake (his wife disappeared). There's nothing more amusing than the little-old-man gabbling the drakes do as they wander the property en masse. The girls "herd" them!

And the joy of five ducks swimming together in the stock tank! Oh, it even thrills the next door neighbors!

Quote:
You don't have any issues with that number of drakes?

Thanks for the response and the "sense" - it's the duck faces that I just can't get rid of. The mess... I'd love to get rid of it. But I figure it's a small price to pay to have these little quackers outside in about a month.

Quote:
You don't have any issues with that number of drakes?

Thanks for the response and the "sense" - it's the duck faces that I just can't get rid of. The mess... I'd love to get rid of it. But I figure it's a small price to pay to have these little quackers outside in about a month.

I had 3 drakes and a hen and didn't have problems. Maybe it helps that 2 of the drakes were offspring to the pair.

I have been using electric net fencing for a couple years and love it for my large layers. Actually, it's no longer plugged in and still keeps them in. It's very affordable and much easier to put up than a traditional fence or run. It's great to be able to move them around also. The net has large holes so it won't work for small chicks. Also, bantams (and some younger chickens) just fly over. I love it and have used it for chickens, goats and even the horses.

Back
Top Bottom