3rd batch of Coturnix hatching today

Steve_of_sandspoultry

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Eastern North Carolina
Ok the votes are in, we are certified over run with quail. Our 3rd setting of 96 quail eggs are doing the "popcorn dance". I was supposed to stop turning yesterday but forgot
smile.png
This morning about 20 had hatched and were running around the egg tray. That puts the first batch at about 10 weeks old, the 2nd about 7 weeks old. Here a quail.... there a quail....everywhere a quail!!!!!

Steve in NC

I'll get some tonight, they should all be out by then. We have to play musical brooders tonight. The 2nd batch of quail have to go to the the biggest inside brooder, the pheasants get the boot to the medium sized one, and the new batch gets the "baby brooder". And then no more quail hatching until fall!
smile.png

Quote:
ugh that's not music to my ears!!! Not hatching quail till fall how dare you!!!
old.gif
wink.png

I love seeing what's going on at your place it's a lot of fun.
big_smile.png
I don't know if customers are allowed to visit your birds but if they did I wish I lived closer they'd be neat to see and photograph
big_smile.png

btw it's thanks to YOU two that im a converted turkey person. When I first joined here i still didn't like them much because of the trio my parents owned when I was a kiddo that were mean... and now I just love them, and am getting spoiled with their eggs from wonderful people...I can't complain and can't wait for my tro of nargies to come out!!!! Then I'm getting bourbons eventaully from a swap, and then some crosses I just found out about today... I'm on cloud nine.
big_smile.png
yep, everyone loves a turkey for sure, I do and mine arent even hatched yet
love.gif

My evil ways as a coturnix converter
and your guys evil way as a turkey converter....
theres a lot of converters on here.... and im getting hooked into MANY of their evil ways
lau.gif

Quote:
oooooooooooohhhhhhhh paaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Not hatching quail till fall how dare you!!!

well, just a rough guess but we hatched well over 200 and about 95% are freezer bound. We don't want to get tooooo fat eating quail.
smile.png

I don't know if customers are allowed to visit your birds but if they did I wish I lived closer they'd be neat to see and photograph

Yes we do have visits, there are a couple BYC'ers that live close have been out to the see. You just need to plan a vacation trip to the outer banks of NC, we are right on the way. The beach, good fishing and turkeys what more could anybody ask for on a vacation?
smile.png
As long as you don't call me a traitor... it's a short 8 hour drive from our place to Windber, PA. where I was born and raised.

You can never have enough turkeys, our season is starting to wind down here now.
sad.png
The Palms and Hollands are mostly broody, and the rest probably aren't far behind.

Plus we have some Emerald Spaulding peafowl eggs coming this month and I'm trying to figure out a way to talk Sharon into letting me get a couple chicks just in case the eggs don't hatch well. I wonder if "honey... it was only a couple hundred dollars" will keep me from sleeping with the turkeys again?????
smile.png

Steve​

Quote:
well, just a rough guess but we hatched well over 200 and about 95% are freezer bound. We don't want to get tooooo fat eating quail.
smile.png

Yes we do have visits, there are a couple BYC'ers that live close have been out to the see. You just need to plan a vacation trip to the outer banks of NC, we are right on the way. The beach, good fishing and turkeys what more could anybody ask for on a vacation?
smile.png
As long as you don't call me a traitor... it's a short 8 hour drive from our place to Windber, PA. where I was born and raised.

You can never have enough turkeys, our season is starting to wind down here now.
sad.png
The Palms and Hollands are mostly broody, and the rest probably aren't far behind.

Plus we have some Emerald Spaulding peafowl eggs coming this month and I'm trying to figure out a way to talk Sharon into letting me get a couple chicks just in case the eggs don't hatch well. I wonder if "honey... it was only a couple hundred dollars" will keep me from sleeping with the turkeys again?????
smile.png

Steve​

lau.gif
about teh peafowl! you need them you DO! Cuz we need to drool over them
wink.png

As for calling you a traitor NEVER, hubby and I have our hearts in NC...we just haven't had a chance to move down there if work ever had hubby a chance to live in NC we'd BE THERE IN LESS THAN A HEART BEAT!!!! So if you're a traitor we are too
lau.gif

Fat off of quail? Nahh neverrrrrr
lau.gif
I really need to have a pen just for meat quail, but my genetic addiction is so strong even if I DID get another pen just for that, it would end up holding color birds i wouldnt want to cull....
lau.gif
it's just too stronggg...
th.gif

I have a question, if youre quail are 10 and 7 weeks old they shoudnt need a brooder anymore should they , mine are just over 2 weeks old and I dont have a heat lamp on them anymore they are in my room keeped at about 70 F with a blanket over half to keep out drafts and they do fine they dont seem cold at all so older wouldnt even need that I would think ???????
hmm.png

Quote:
We still call them "brooders" with or without a heat lamp. The oldest batch has been outside in the barn for a couple weeks now. We have a system where they go from box to box. Each one is bigger than the one before it. It's set up mostly for raising turkeys but it works for all the birds we raise.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom