3rd Nest of the Season!

Well as of this evening I have no chicks yet, but I have 1 egg with an ext. pip and 1 egg that is scratching and peeping so it has made the int. pip. My silver girl is not as devoted a sitter as my CBS hen. My CBS would never leave the nest this close to hatch, but my silver was up and chowin' down on dinner so I got to peek at the eggs.
big_smile.png

Mine started sitting 8/24, so yes your's should be due on Sun. or Mon. Fingers crossed for us both.
fl.gif
Any pips or signs if hatching yet Dylan'sMom? No sign of activity here- just 4 eggs still looking very egg-like. Haven't bought the yarn for knitting chick sweaters yet...don't want to jinx them.
Good luck.

Well as of this evening I have no chicks yet, but I have 1 egg with an ext. pip and 1 egg that is scratching and peeping so it has made the int. pip. My silver girl is not as devoted a sitter as my CBS hen. My CBS would never leave the nest this close to hatch, but my silver was up and chowin' down on dinner so I got to peek at the eggs.
big_smile.png
Oooh,,, so exciting. Just wrote a post asking what your status was, before I saw this. Better get knitting!

Okay afternoon update, I have 1 little brown chick and 1 egg that now has an ext. pip. Looks like I have a "Slowpoke" on my hands. We are expecting 45 degrees tonight and this hen is in an outside run, I assume she will be okay out there and will keep the chick and egg warm enough, if anyone thinks otherwise please let me know. If they had both hatched I would have moved them to an indoor heated pen, but I hate to move her with a half hatched egg, she would probably abandon it if I did.
barnie.gif

Okay afternoon update, I have 1 little brown chick and 1 egg that now has an ext. pip. Looks like I have a "Slowpoke" on my hands. We are expecting 45 degrees tonight and this hen is in an outside run, I assume she will be okay out there and will keep the chick and egg warm enough, if anyone thinks otherwise please let me know. If they had both hatched I would have moved them to an indoor heated pen, but I hate to move her with a half hatched egg, she would probably abandon it if I did.
barnie.gif
You could always put her unhatched egg in the bator then put the new baby back under her tomorrow night
wink.png
has this never happend to you before?

You could always put her unhatched egg in the bator then put the new baby back under her tomorrow night
wink.png
has this never happend to you before?

This is a full month later than any other hatch we've ever had. My CBS hen hatched some on Aug. 20th several years ago, but that was the latest and we generally do not get down to 45 in Sept either. So no this has never happened this late before. Bator has been turned off, cleaned and stowed for the year since Late July. Not gonna get it back out, so hopefully she will be able to keep them warm. As soon as that other egg hatches, if it does, they will all go in the heated pen.

Last edited:
[quote name="DylansMom" url="/t/921222/3rd-nest-of-the-season/40#post_14125299"Bator has been turned off, cleaned and stowed for the year since Late July.[/quote]

I just shut my incubator down this weekend after my last four peas for the season hatched on Wednesday (2) and Friday (2) it was a sad day and I can't wait until next spring/summer...

Anyway good luck with the temps, we fell in to the low 40°s last week in Illinois for a few nights really rude to get that cool so early and even ruder to turn on the furnace for a few night so early...

Quote:
Yes 40's in September is unforgivably Rude!
wink.png
I usually do not like to be a doomsayer and quote all the reasons it's going to be a terrible winter, but this year has me wondering. Everyone is saying we are in for more of last years fun, because that Polar vortex is still spinning. I hope not, I'm not ready for that again. My family prefers I shut the bator down in July and spend a little time with them, otherwise they get really cranky and tired of carryout.
gig.gif

Dont know if it applies to 40 degrees, but My hen has hatched chicks in the early spring when we've had miserable cool and rainy, yucky weather- you know, it was probably like that in PA too.
She not only hatched them, but had them out free ranging in the wet miserable stuff, then would bring them back into the pen and sit on them- on wet ground.
I did my best to keep dry straw under her, but she wanted nuthin to do with it. Amazingly, the babies all did fine. I on the other hand got more gray hair! I had a chicken wander off just before a blizzard in January. When she didnt make it back, I figured she was a gonner. Darn if she didn't wander back into the barn with a single little chick one day! There was still snow on the ground. So, never fear, all those downy feathers serve a purpose! My Lucy is still on 4 eggs and yes, its freezing here- they said frost tonight. No sign of pips here yet. Maybe mine are duds, or maybe they're waiting for tomorrow when it will back in the seventies. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom