3wk old chicks knocked over water- thirsty!

AlliO

Chirping
Mar 19, 2024
Hey everyone- I’m just looking for some help/advice.

I came home from work and my 3 week old chicks had knocked over their water and I’m not sure how long they spent without anything to drink.

I know I need to engineer another watered option, I welcome that advice.

But first- I was wondering if I should provide some of the electrolyte mix that you would give to newly shipped chicks? Would this help them rehydrate faster? Do you have any other advice?

Let me know if I need to include more info.

Thank you in advance!!

The electrolyte won't hurt, a lot of people use it in times of extreme heat here in Arizona. It doesn't literally rehydrate them, but if their electrolytes got out of whack from lack of water, it might help restore their electrolyte balance.

You could put in a second waterer, possibly a hanging waterer, which would be spill proof. Did your waterer fall off its stand, or do you know how it tipped over, so you can think about how to improve the design, at least until you get the chicks outside?

The electrolyte won't hurt, a lot of people use it in times of extreme heat here in Arizona. It doesn't literally rehydrate them, but if their electrolytes got out of whack from lack of water, it might help restore their electrolyte balance.

You could put in a second waterer, possibly a hanging waterer, which would be spill proof. Did your waterer fall off its stand, or do you know how it tipped over, so you can think about how to improve the design, at least until you get the chicks outside?
Okay maybe I’ll give it a try just to give them a little boost, then- thank you!

I put in a new small roosting bar yesterday that’s a bit higher than anything else in the brooder… I think they jumped from the bar on top of the waterer. So I am going to hang it instead since I imagine that will keep happening! Having a second source is a great idea, I’ll do that too. Thank you!

The bigger the waterer, the heavier it will be and they can't knock it over. I go from a mason jar waterer to a much bigger 1.5 gallon after the 1st week. I wouldn't worry to much about them going without water until you got home, they do okay in shipping.

But first- I was wondering if I should provide some of the electrolyte mix that you would give to newly shipped chicks? Would this help them rehydrate faster? Do you have any other advice?
Step one: refill the normal waterer with plain water. Lukewarm may be better than icy cold in this case, but don't stress too much about the temperature. Just get it refilled and in there. (I'm hoping you already did this before posting!)

Step two, optional: put electrolytes in water in another container, and let them have it too. That lets them choose.

As a practical matter, healthy chickens will usually get all the electrolytes they need from their normal food. Since yours are 3 weeks old, and have gone less than 12 hours without water (assuming they were fine before you went to work), I would not expect it to be a big deal. They probably stopped eating when they were thirsty, so they will drink, then go eat, then drink again. Pretty soon they will be fine.

Sorry for the delayed response- I really appreciate your help!! I was hoping that would be the case (electrolytes won’t hurt, could help) - good to know how they could be used if we get hit with some hot days this summer!

I think they hopped up on it and it tipped over, so we were able to use an s hook and hang it up, but then had to cover up the pole it was hooked on because they kept roosting on it and getting their water dirty. They certainly keep me learning every day haha

Step one: refill the normal waterer with plain water. Lukewarm may be better than icy cold in this case, but don't stress too much about the temperature. Just get it refilled and in there. (I'm hoping you already did this before posting!)

Step two, optional: put electrolytes in water in another container, and let them have it too. That lets them choose.

As a practical matter, healthy chickens will usually get all the electrolytes they need from their normal food. Since yours are 3 weeks old, and have gone less than 12 hours without water (assuming they were fine before you went to work), I would not expect it to be a big deal. They probably stopped eating when they were thirsty, so they will drink, then go eat, then drink again. Pretty soon they will be fine.
Sorry I’m just now responding- thank you so much for your input! I did as you suggested. They seemed to do just fine, I just got so nervous when I had seen it originally! Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom