4 1/2 weeks, old Are they Ready?

Yoshih

Chirping
Mar 26, 2019
The girls are getting big and growing crowded in their brooder, They are 4 1/2 weeks old, Do you think they are big enough to go out in their outdoor coop. Low temps will be in mid 40's Highs will be in the 60's and 70's for the next 10 days.
1chick.jpg
2chick.jpg

The girls are getting big and growing crowded in their brooder, They are 4 1/2 weeks old, Do you think they are big enough to go out in their outdoor coop. Low temps will be in mid 40's Highs will be in the 60's and 70's for the next 10 days. View attachment 1788238 View attachment 1788239
Do you have electric in the coop?
40s is a bit chilly for them. They are not quite fully feathered. I would want to give them some form of supplemental heat out there at night.
Did you brood them with a brooder plate or a lamp?

Do you have electric in the coop?
40s is a bit chilly for them. They are not quite fully feathered. I would want to give them some form of supplemental heat out there at night.
Did you brood them with a brooder plate or a lamp?

I have a milk house heater in there and could also bring the heat lamp that I used when they were chicks. I was planning on keeping them inside with the door to the covered run open, then at night putting them in the coop and turning on the heater

Ours went into an outdoor coop at Week 5. (We live in MN and have had very similar temps to what you're experiencing). Our birds did just fine, but they had a few more feathers than those pictured.
You can put them in and watch their behavior, if they're huddling or acting stressed, it may be too cold, and they may need a lamp or heat source for a bit. Or they may need to go back inside, I would go for it and just keep a close eye on how they're doing.
Good luck, they'll really like the extra room for sure!!

I have a milk house heater in there and could also bring the heat lamp that I used when they were chicks. I was planning on keeping them inside with the door to the covered run open, then at night putting them in the coop and turning on the heater
Sounds like a good plan. I'd get them outside as soon as you can.
My chicks are 3 and 4 weeks old and spend most of their day in their outdoor run and come into their brooder at night and sleep under their brooder plate. My day and night temperatures have been the same as what you have coming up and even cooler and my chicks are absolutely thriving.

Ours love it outside, pure chicken joy...and it seems to help them feather-up a bit too! It's neat to see them "puff up" to insulate themselves, little guys can be quite hardy:)

Ours love it outside, pure chicken joy...and it seems to help them feather-up a bit too! It's neat to see them "puff up" to insulate themselves, little guys can be quite hardy:)

3 of them are Columbian wyandottes which are supposed to like cool temps, the other 2 types are wyandottes, silver and black laced, They threw in 2 extras one is all yellow, probably a gold comet and the other one looks like a wyandotte

Back
Top Bottom