4/12/12 Setting Date--Anyone joining me?

At 1pm MST today, I set eggs to hatch. I was asked to hatch eggs at my daughter's elementary school. It will be the entire first grade participating in the activity officially, though I suspect there will be other kids who are interested.

I have a Brinsea Mini Advance, which is amazingly easy to use and wonderful.

I'll be setting seven Blue Laced Red Wyandotte eggs, which were graciously donated by a BYC member local to me.

I'm really nervous about doing the hatch at the school, where the eggs will be out of my control. I know that historically, hatches done at school have a horrendous hatch rate. However, my last hatch (which finished this morning) had 6/7 eggs hatch. The 7th egg died around 7-8 days in. It was done at a preschool (sort of- I took the eggs home for spring break).

Welcome to the party everyone!
yippiechickie.gif

This will be fun.

Day 1 went well. I took a few picts of my set up and will upload them tomorrow. Temps and humidity stayed pretty good all day. I did have to tweak the temp down a little after the eggs got in. Kids kept walking by giving me a temp report!!

I'll be joining in as well...sorry for being so late about my set in the bator but, I set about 16 eggs last Saturday. All the the eggs are from my Brahma girls, hope to have pictures for you all soon (of the grown hens and the chicks).

Count me in please. I have two broody silkie hens. I have put 2 eggs under each of them and I have put 8 eggs in the incubator. All the eggs are silkie eggs. This is my second try with broody hens and the incubator. My first try i only got one chick that hatched.:( I really am having so much fun watching this new little chick with the two hens that are still wanting to set on eggs. It has two moms that are raising it. I sure hope I will get more chicks this time.

Ok so I couldn't stand waiting to see if I had anything living in my incubator. So I candled the 7 eggs that are in there and I had 6 out of the 7 eggs with little hearts beating!! I'm so happy. I still have the 5 eggs under my broody hens as well but I will wait to candle them. I'm just happy knowing I at least have a better chance at hatching chicks with this dozen eggs than I did with the last one. Just needed to share.:D

I can't wait to candle. I did a 'pretend candling' while candling my other eggs that are in the 'bator. Also had to fill my water traps again, they're draining so fast with so many eggs! - I decided the best way to keep them from going dry was by adding a shot glass full of water! LOL - it's working so far, I'll check in on it in the morning. We've used beer mugs in the cabinet incubators so why not?

I candled the eggs with my children last night. Most of them had veins that were visible. I am not going to thin out any until Saturday. I need to read a little more about evaluating whether an egg has a chance. Incubator seems to be working well. We are all enjoying the process.

Back
Top Bottom