4/12/12 Setting Date--Anyone joining me?

I have candled regularly, out of 12 eggs I put in 6 were from my Light sussex HB and none of her eggs have been viable so took them out last night, the other 6 Jersey Giant eggs were viable, 1 I dropped during candling day 4 (whoops and I still feel guilty) The others have been progressing well until lastnight when 1 had no movement. Gonna leave 2 days then candle again if still nothing there It is obviously a dead embryo. On a bright note My gold laced orpington hens have just started laying and day 3 one has produced a whopper of an egg!!!!! hopefully next time I try my incy it will be full of Pure GLO eggs!

Miss Giggles, just because you don't SEE movement doesn't mean that they're not viable. They do sleep sometimes, and are quiet. What I look for in a quitter is the veins going away. When an egg quits, those veins do break down and go away. Then you're left with a free floating blob. Kind of like this:

See how there's no veins, but that dark blob? Dead.

I would never toss anything with visible veining.

Thanks, there were veins and movement until last night in that particular egg which is why I'm going to candle again in a couple of days as no sign of either now, still veins and movement in the other 4 JG eggs..... the sussex eggs have had no change whatsoever (no veins)and she's the only hen that I haven't seen my cockerel "do". The eggs are approaching 10 days incubation now so I would've expected to have seen something if her eggs were fertile. Thanks for the photo it will be very helpful.

So I candled tonight. Day 10 and 10 out of twelve are living. That is including the broodies 5 eggs. I'm very happy!

Well I finally managed to do a real candling. Everyone was very active on day 5, growing well and looking good... But last night, day... 12? - I had lost two just days ago. Probably when I had a really nasty temp spike.

Also, I'm noticing that almost all of the eggs I'm tossing are from my white clarets. I wonder if it's a particular hen with a bad gene, the rooster, I dunno?

Hmmm, it is interesting that all your eggs from that type of chicken is not fertile. Have you seen him mating with her? I had a SLW that never did accept the rooster at all, and I never, ever saw him mate with her, and none of her eggs were ever fertile. I think it was a dominance issue.

I'm going to candle the eggs at the elementary school later this afternoon.

All seven of my eggs are still squirming around and healthy!
wee.gif

There's four hens in that breeding pen. It seems pretty well all of the eggs I'm tossing are from that pen... I have seen them mating - they've had successful hatches up until now. I'm trying to think of reasons that they are quitting, they're definitely fertile. All of them are developing, just quitting.
Hmmm, it is interesting that all your eggs from that type of chicken is not fertile. Have you seen him mating with her? I had a SLW that never did accept the rooster at all, and I never, ever saw him mate with her, and none of her eggs were ever fertile. I think it was a dominance issue.

I'm going to candle the eggs at the elementary school later this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom