4/12/12 Setting Date--Anyone joining me?

pudellvr

Songster
11 Years
Jun 6, 2008
Florence, SC
My Coop
My Coop
I am a rank newbie. I built my own incubator and received my eggs today. About 1/2 of them had loose air cells and most of them are porous appearing to me. I could be wrong. I did however locate air cells and pencil mark which ones are loose etc.

I plan to place them in the bator tomorrow evening. I am hatching bantam partridge wyandottes. I have 13 eggs to set.

Day 1 has started! We are excited. This is a school project as well as feeding Mom's addiction. I am liking my coolerbator. The thermostat I am using had a plastic governor that limited the lowest temp to around 105. I trimmed off some of the plastic and am holding a perfect 99. I am using a battery operated fan. With fresh batteries of course. It runs for months of use on one set of batteries.

I am letting the eggs rest in the incubator and will candle and start turning after day 7.

I will be joining you :)

I am setting my eggs in tonight around 9 or 10pm. I have 28 to set between two incubators. I had to wait for all of my eggs to come in, and they are finally here! Tonight the last ones to arrive will have rested 24 hours.

i set 11 fertilized eggs under my brooding BO last night! didn't realize that I'd have to do something to divert a broody hen, but she was hogging the only nest box the girls use. i think i start counting from last night (about 6 pm) - is it 21 days? i was told not to turn the eggs, because the momma will do it, but i would like to candle them to see how viable the eggs are. they are maybe 2 weeks old, and have been kept in the fridge. i did number them before placing them under her.

Ok....I have a really dumb question....

If I set the eggs tonight at 9pm....would my lockdown day be April 30th at 9pm? At the very end of the 18th day, starting into the 19th day...or would it be May 1st. I'm already so confused. Lol.

I started a thread for this, but yours has way more traffic, so I think I'll delete it and join you guys. You sound like lots of fun.

At 1pm MST today, I set eggs to hatch. I was asked to hatch eggs at my daughter's elementary school. It will be the entire first grade participating in the activity officially, though I suspect there will be other kids who are interested. We put the incubator high enough up that anyone walking past the classroom can see the incubator.

I have a Brinsea Mini Advance, which is amazingly easy to use and wonderful.

I'll be setting seven Blue Laced Red Wyandotte eggs, which were graciously donated by a BYC member local to me.

I'm really nervous about doing the hatch at the school, where the eggs will be out of my control. I know that historically, hatches done at school have a horrendous hatch rate. However, my last hatch (which finished this morning) had 6/7 eggs hatch. The 7th egg died around 7-8 days in. It was done at a preschool (sort of- I took the eggs home for spring break).

Nice to join you guys!

my last hatch, i didnt think it mattered but the day of the hatch it didnt happen until at night... i put the eggs in at night :]

i am putting in some cochin eggs, RIRs, and i think my polish hen layed some?? either way, they are all purebred and so excited!!! my sister has my turkey eggs along with cochins and RIRs at her highschool hatching them in class : ]... 21 days from tonight : ]]

Back
Top Bottom