1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4-5 week old chicks and drafts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vpeterson, Oct 10, 2009.

1. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

I was planning on moving my 4-5 week old chicks to the coop this weekend but the temp outside has really took a tumble. With a heat lamp I can keep the temps at 50-60 degrees in the coop.
    The problem is when the door is opened a cold draft will be coming through. The chicks are used to about 70 degrees in my laundary room. It is about 30 degrees outside. I know that I should wait for warmer weather, but I have time to do a lot of checking on them this weekend. Will the sudden draft be too hard on them?

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in FL, so thankfully, we only worry about this a couple times a year...but I would worry for them nonetheless. It's 90 out today and 70 at night, and my little ones stay inside until I see them trying to move away from the heat source...

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Even though nights here have only been getting in the high 60's my 4 1/2 week olds still all pile under the light every night.. Maybe they do it cause it's there I don't know but when I tried to not turn the lamp on they piled on top of each other and it was only in the 70's that night...

Missi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by