4-5 week olds pecking each other

AZChickenMom

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
I'm new to chickens - I've been lurking here for months, but finally have the chicks and my husband has built the coop!

Two weeks ago I got 6 pullet chicks. A week later, the Brahma was being pecked. The feed store recommended "Rooster Booster" and it seemed to stop. Monday the coop was finished and it was move in day. We decided to add a couple of more chicks while they were moving in, long story short, we ended up with 4 more chicks... probably about a week younger than the original bunch. This is a huge coop (it just kept getting bigger and bigger as we were building it!), so I know there is plenty of room! Today I went out to look at them, and everyone has pecked tailfeathers... except 2 of the original bunch... which makes me think they are the culprits. On went more "Rooster Booster". *sigh*

What am I doing wrong? How do I stop this behavior? At this point, the original ones are 5 weeks and the new ones are 4 weeks. Any help would be much appreciated!

Do they stay in the coop all the time, or do they have a yard they can also play in? If they are inside, maybe they are bored. You could buy or make them a flock block, hang cabbage, ect. Also make sure they have some hiding places and roosts so they can get away from the aggressive chicks. My chicks are 6-7 weeks old and they are starting to figure out the pecking order. My hens and roo just look at them like they are crazy, but they don't bother them. They are constantly fighting among themselves though. They have access to the coop and a very large run which allows them to spread out and hide away if they've had enough. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom