4-5 weeks old chicks and outside pin?

:frow Hi from a fellow Georgian:

No, they can go out when they have feathered up - 5-6 weeks - No supplemental heat should be needed here in GA.

I can't imagine how to keep them inside til 10 weeks old :eek:

Mine are only three weeks old today but the brooder is getting small for them. I have six chicks in a large dog crate. I live in Arizona and temps are already going up to 100 during the day and 60s at night. Too soon to put them out?

Mine are only three weeks old today but the brooder is getting small for them. I have six chicks in a large dog crate. I live in Arizona and temps are already going up to 100 during the day and 60s at night. Too soon to put them out?

I think most would wait til nights are 70 or above and they are fully feathered - 5-6 weeks old. but if they are your only chickens, you could move them out in a secured coop. Why don't you monitor the inside the coop temps to see maybe it does stay at least in the high 60's at night. Otherwise, add supplemental heat - a regular light bulb likely would be enough.

To get more attention/opines for your situation, I would suggest you start your own thread.

I put them out when they arrive so about 3 days old. They live in a small coop next door to the big coop and have their own run. They got run access at 7 days. I had an electric heating pad hen for them and a low roost. I took the heating pad out when they moved to the roost at 4-5 weeks old. It was 40-50 at night then.

I got them in late February when it was still dropping well below freezing at night and occasionally reaching the 70s during the day. You might be surprised by how little they used their heat and how much time they spent outside given the opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom