FlosChicks

Hatching
May 31, 2023
Hi All!

I am new to raising chickens and my favorite chicken out of our flock has been limping the last 2-3 days. Ive been doing a lot of reading on Mareks and she doesn't seen to have any of the symptoms. She doesn't have bumpy skin, no leg or neck or wing paralysis, her iris are brown and her pupil looks normal. Shes been eating and drinking like normal but shes been limping and will lay herself down after walking around for a bit. Ive checked the bottom of her feet for any swelling or issues related to bumblefoot and have giving her some salt soaks and putting ointment on the bottom of her feet incase there is something microscopic that i cant see. Sometimes when she lays down, she will lay with her foot stretched out to the side, the one that's bothering her as if not to put any pressure on it.

She is a feathered-footed Maran and all her feathers are coming in like crazy. Maybe the feathers coming in on her feet is painful? Maybe she broke a toe or something? I really just want her to be ok. Any insight, any questions for me are so appreciated and welcome!

Did you check for a small sore/scab? Could be bumblefoot...it is painful so they limp, even walk on their hocks so as not to step on the injured foot. It could be an option if she seems healthy otherwise...

Hi All!

I am new to raising chickens and my favorite chicken out of our flock has been limping the last 2-3 days. Ive been doing a lot of reading on Mareks and she doesn't seen to have any of the symptoms. She doesn't have bumpy skin, no leg or neck or wing paralysis, her iris are brown and her pupil looks normal. Shes been eating and drinking like normal but shes been limping and will lay herself down after walking around for a bit. Ive checked the bottom of her feet for any swelling or issues related to bumblefoot and have giving her some salt soaks and putting ointment on the bottom of her feet incase there is something microscopic that i cant see. Sometimes when she lays down, she will lay with her foot stretched out to the side, the one that's bothering her as if not to put any pressure on it.

She is a feathered-footed Maran and all her feathers are coming in like crazy. Maybe the feathers coming in on her feet is painful? Maybe she broke a toe or something? I really just want her to be ok. Any insight, any questions for me are so appreciated and welcome!
Sometimes the sore is very tiny in young ones..pin sized even

Thats what I had read and had found a diagram of the stages of bumble foot. I cant see anything at all, there's def no scab. So I've been soaking her feet in a warm salt bath and applying ointment to them afterwards in hopes that will help whatever is going on and prevent it from getting worse.

Could the chick have a slipped tendon or possibly have injured the leg? A leg bone deformity, such as varus or valgus deformity, can affect one or both legs. Do you have a picture of the chick standing, or a video that can be uploaded to YouTube with a link posted here?

Back
Top Bottom