4 chickens picking on one chicken

Little Lady

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
I have 5 chickens and two weeks ago 4 of them started pecking one of them. They pecked her eye out and many of her feathers are gone. I separated her from the others and she has been separated for two weeks. I didn't know if she would make it, but she is better now. Her head is still swollen on one side and I assume she has no eye on that side. I don't know what to do with her. I let them all out to free range yesterday and at dusk, she went in the coop with the other 4, but got in one of the nesting boxes instead of on the roost like she used to. That's where I found her and realized she had been abused. Will she ever be apart of the group again? Can I nurse her back to health and get her back in with the other 4? I just don't know what to do. Please give me adivce if any of you have experienced this before. Thank you!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm SO sorry about your bird!!
hugs.gif

I hate to say it but I highly doubt that she will be able to return back to the flock. Is there any way she can become a house pet? Buy a diaper for her and keep her inside? Here's a link on diapers and info on keeping house chickens.
http://chickendiapers.com/
http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/moving-your-chickens-indoors/
http://www.permies.com/t/15486/chickens/Keeping-chickens-indoors

So I would say nurse her back to health and keep her inside. If you absolutely can't or don't want a house chicken then try and find her a gentle buddy and keep them in a separate coop outside.

Best of luck!

I have 5 chickens and two weeks ago 4 of them started pecking one of them.  They pecked her eye out and many of her feathers are gone.  I separated her from the others and she has been separated for two weeks.  I didn't know if she would make it, but she is better now.  Her head is still swollen on one side and I assume she has no eye on that side.  I don't know what to do with her.  I let them all out to free range yesterday and at dusk, she went in the coop with the other 4, but got in one of the nesting boxes instead of on the roost like she used to.  That's where I found her and realized she had been abused.  Will she ever be apart of the group again?  Can I nurse her back to health and get her back in with the other 4?  I just don't know what to do.  Please give me adivce if any of you have experienced this before.  Thank you!

That's horrible, I got not much experience on this but am sure someone in this site will have smart input. I got a couple of leghorns that peck on my wyandottes and barred rock that cause some bleeding. I kept close watch on them, so far not been repeated.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! So sorry about the hen. X3, I wouldn't want to chance putting that hen back in the same flock she was in if they have already done that much damage. Either keep her separated from them, cull her, or rehome her.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your picked-on chicken! Good luck with her.

She will really need a pet home. As a special needs chicken, she would easily fall victim to bullying every where she goes and also an easy meal for predators. Many people have house chickens and especially the "picked on" ones that just bloom once they are in a home environment where they are safe. There is a great thread called "People with house chickens." Chickens can be great dog substitutes and also teach kids quite a lesson about being disabled and still doing well.

I was afraid that she would never be the same again, but having a house chicken won't work for us. I feel so sorry for her. I may just keep her in the dog pen I have her in and let her out by herself from time to time to free range. She is getting better every day. Thanks for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom