4 chicks....

budda

Chirping
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Atlanta GA
So, the parents of these first three birds are possibly Splash, Blue or Black Copper Marans. These are the only three chicks to hatch out and survive out of 18 eggs. Two othes hatched but one was severely deformed and the other never absorbed its yoke and bled to death once it broke through its shell completely.

Anyway, the gray one is fledging pure white wings and tail, has a white throat and a pure white butt. The rest of the chick has varying shades of gray and the light yellow you can see near the wing pockets and around the eyes.

The next one down is a good picture and shows the chick well. The wings on this little one are also coming in white and it has a yellow mask.

The last one down is not deformed, but instead, the flash made the little guy/gal fall over backwards. It was kind of funny. Anyway, this chick is got a black head, Dark gray body, White wings and light gray and yellow on its under carriage.

The last one....i was wondering if it was a Ameracauna or an Orphington. This chick is super sweet and loves to be held, it better be a hen when it grows up either way.

Are these first three little chicks going to be Splash Marans, Black or Blue coppers or is it to early to tell. Also, is there any way to tell early on if their roo's or hens this early on?

Gray Chick.

15wjwn6.jpg

Chick #2

23uzcaq.jpg

Chick #3

2mgmnpd.jpg

2n7041l.jpg

Ameracauna or Orphington??

5ug5y0.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not 100% positive on #1 but I think it's a blue Maran.
#2 could be a Black Maran
#3 could also be a Black Maran
#4 looks and EE, Cochins have feathered feet. Edit: It has a beard, right? From this angle I can't tell.

Last edited:
I was just told that the last one is probably an Orphington or an Ameracauna, not a cochin or EE. I had the names mixed up. It just started to show a single comb, so i am going with Orphington.

So, the parents of these first three birds are possibly Splash, Blue or Black Copper Marans. These are the only three chicks to hatch out and survive out of 18 eggs. Two othes hatched but one was severely deformed and the other never absorbed its yoke and bled to death once it broke through its shell completely.

Anyway, the gray one is fledging pure white wings and tail, has a white throat and a pure white butt. The rest of the chick has varying shades of gray and the light yellow you can see near the wing pockets and around the eyes.

The next one down is a good picture and shows the chick well. The wings on this little one are also coming in white and it has a yellow mask.

The last one down is not deformed, but instead, the flash made the little guy/gal fall over backwards. It was kind of funny. Anyway, this chick is got a black head, Dark gray body, White wings and light gray and yellow on its under carriage.

The last one....i was wondering if it was a Ameracauna or an Orphington. This chick is super sweet and loves to be held, it better be a hen when it grows up either way.

Are these first three little chicks going to be Splash Marans, Black or Blue coppers or is it to early to tell. Also, is there any way to tell early on if their roo's or hens this early on?

Gray Chick.

15wjwn6.jpg

Chick #2

23uzcaq.jpg

Chick #3

2mgmnpd.jpg

2n7041l.jpg

Ameracauna or Orphington??

5ug5y0.jpg
I don't really know Bubba. My Marans chicks have never shown yellow feathering like that. The feet on a couple look really yellow too, far more so than just the usual yolk effect that sometimes tints the legs and feet yellow for the first 5 days or so. I'm sure someone else will give their opinions too.

The first three were hatched out of some of the darkest maran eggs i have seen. I know they are Marans or at least the Mother was a Maran. I also saw the pen the eggs were collected from. Inside the pen was Splash, Blue and Black Copper Maran hens with a Splash Roo and a Black Copper Roo.

The last chick which i am unsure about was hatched at another persons house so i do not know what color egg it came from.

Hi, I'm so glad I was able to see these pics after we talked! the first chick is a blue copper and the second two are black coppers. When you were talking about white wings I assumed the whole side of ther bird was white :/ but, what I see in these pictures is standard. As they develop, the bottom half or so of the wing might remain white until they fully feather out and then just a feather or two ( which will remain on the underside of the wing) will be white. This is a good thing! It is the sign of a dark egg.
Also, after seeing the picture I am again confident that chick # 4 is an Ameraucana. There is NO possibility of Easter Eggers from these eggs, the parents are true blue Ameraucanas. From the angle, I see a pea comb. A small ridge will develop in the center where a single comb would, and it will not remain flat like a rose comb (like a Wyandotte or Dominicker). Also, compare it's leg color to those of the other two Orp chicks legs and tell us what you find...?
Thanks!

Also, All Orpingtons do NOT have pink legs! Black, blue, and most splash will have black or slate colored legs. Buffs, Lemon cuckoos and some lavenders will have pink or light legs.

The legs on the last one are dark to the toenails whereas the other two are dark to middle of the toe. The rest of the toe and nail is a yellowish color.

Back
Top Bottom