4 Day Old Attack Chickie!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiemomma4, Sep 9, 2009.

1. chickiemomma4

chickiemomma4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have one 4 day old BCM chick. She is the only one that hatched out of 14 shipped eggs. I thought she was so lonely. Then yesterday I had 2 Dorking chicks hatch out. They are so cute and tiny. I put the 4 day old in with the 1 day old chickens and 4 day old constantly pecks their toes and then she started pecking at their eyes. I was so afraid she would blind one of them I took her back out. Now I have to keep 2 areas clean.

I put cardboard between the 2 groups in the brooder and she still tries to peck their tiny feet under the cardboard. I am glad she isn't dinosaur size! [​IMG]

Anyone have suggestions how to mix them? HELP!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Red light - supposed to be calming.

Put shiny objects in the brooder with then all to distract the pecker to the shiny things rather then shiny toe nails or eye balls.

Mirror, bird toys with bell, anything red. Flat rocks to climb on.

Good luck with your little one.

3. chickiemomma4

chickiemomma4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

Red light - supposed to be calming.

Put shiny objects in the brooder with then all to distract the pecker to the shiny things rather then shiny toe nails or eye balls.

Mirror, bird toys with bell, anything red. Flat rocks to climb on.

Good luck with your little one.

Hi!

Thank you so much for the info. That makes alot of sense. An interesting update. Today I put the 4 day old chick in with the chicks born yesterday morning and the day old chick pecked the 4 day chick. My 4 day old chick is named PEEWEEZIE. She didn't know what to do after the little one came right up and pecked her. Maybe this will work out after all. I will try the shining things and watch observantly. (just in case she turns into a ninja! [​IMG]

4. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    I had two day old chicks that I had put in with my 3 week old silkie. No problems at all - but I used a red light - I think the red lights really do help a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by