4 day old chicks dying fast

Being new way back when and all that's happened in the past 15 years, I've realized to keep things very simple. If you bring them home and they die, I think you said around day 4, well chicks can sustain themselves for the first 3 days, but then they better be getting food and water or they will die. I've lived thru that several times but caught on the 2nd time that the crumbles were too big and they appeared to be eating but were not. So now with all hatches I grind the feed down a bit so I know they are eating. A wet mash has always helped me get them interested in food. A wet mash also gives them water. Without food and water for whatever reason, they will die starting on day 4. I have also dipped chick beaks one by one in the in the water and wet mash. And check crops.

I had one chick die after day 4 because I stopped giving her yogurt and the crumbles were too big. How sad that she died! I had one chick not able to get to the food and grow weaker and weaker till she couldn't walk. I started tube feeding her mash and water with corid (covering the bases) and she did recover to the point that she was eating on her own and not letting anyone push her away.

As for temp, I read that chicks need 90 degrees. I go by what the chicks behavior is. I find for me it was always best to have one corner (not big) with the heat lamp and plenty of area with no heat. If they crowd under the heat, they are cold. If they crowd away from the heat they are too hot. What I look for is the chicks somewhat sleeping scattered in the middle. I watch what the chicks tell me.

If they have food and temp checked and then die, IMO I would treat them all with Corid regardless of what's written , about age and such, just knowing it's My last effort and can do it.

They are too young to die from Mareks. I know very little about what the respiratory problems can figure into things. I can't tell you how to spot it or know the signs to look for respiratory-wise.

I have never given vits to any chicks/chickens that were sick. Or ACV. Keep a notebook with symptoms, age, what they looked like the day before, was there crop full or empty, or whether they were passing stool. The best piece of advice I was ever given is to spend alot of time with my chickens, know what normal appearance is and what is not normal. I have spent hours and hours with my chicks/chickens and they have taught me alot.

Think first of simple reasons. How sad!

I would clean everything and BUY new feed and shavings .

This is the way I've done things for years. I'm sure others can write what they've done.

Being new way back when and all that's happened in the past 15 years, I've realized to keep things very simple. If you bring them home and they die, I think you said around day 4, well chicks can sustain themselves for the first 3 days, but then they better be getting food and water or they will die. I've lived thru that several times but caught on the 2nd time that the crumbles were too big and they appeared to be eating but were not. So now with all hatches I grind the feed down a bit so I know they are eating. A wet mash has always helped me get them interested in food. A wet mash also gives them water. Without food and water for whatever reason, they will die starting on day 4. I have also dipped chick beaks one by one in the in the water and wet mash. And check crops.

I had one chick die after day 4 because I stopped giving her yogurt and the crumbles were too big. How sad that she died! I had one chick not able to get to the food and grow weaker and weaker till she couldn't walk. I started tube feeding her mash and water with corid (covering the bases) and she did recover to the point that she was eating on her own and not letting anyone push her away.

As for temp, I read that chicks need 90 degrees. I go by what the chicks behavior is. I find for me it was always best to have one corner (not big) with the heat lamp and plenty of area with no heat. If they crowd under the heat, they are cold. If they crowd away from the heat they are too hot. What I look for is the chicks somewhat sleeping scattered in the middle. I watch what the chicks tell me.

If they have food and temp checked and then die, IMO I would treat them all with Corid regardless of what's written , about age and such, just knowing it's My last effort and can do it.

They are too young to die from Mareks. I know very little about what the respiratory problems can figure into things. I can't tell you how to spot it or know the signs to look for respiratory-wise.

I have never given vits to any chicks/chickens that were sick. Or ACV. Keep a notebook with symptoms, age, what they looked like the day before, was there crop full or empty, or whether they were passing stool. The best piece of advice I was ever given is to spend alot of time with my chickens, know what normal appearance is and what is not normal. I have spent hours and hours with my chicks/chickens and they have taught me alot.

Think first of simple reasons. How sad!

I would clean everything and BUY new feed and shavings .

This is the way I've done things for years. I'm sure others can write what they've done.
Great point about the crumbles! I run my crumbles through a spice grinder for a while - maybe a couple of weeks. Mamas break up the food for babies.

Back
Top Bottom