4 day old duck going bald?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by prncssprplfrog, Jun 3, 2010.

1. prncssprplfrog

prncssprplfrog Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Schuyler Lake
    I have to duckies that I'm hoping are Cayugas. They hardly leave each other alone & peep loudly when I take one out of the brooder without the other. The larger, first hatched one has started to get a bald spot in a "v" shape about an inch above his tail.
    When he hatched there was a spot on his back side that was a bit red and had what I can only describe as melted fuzz. It looked like nylon cord gets when you singe it with a lighter. He also had a wonkie spot on the back of his head, but he had a hard time getting out of his egg & I attributed it to that.
    Now I'm concerned about him. Other than that he is acting fine. I had a chicken get the same thing a few months ago and she ended up dying unexpectedly.

Is this something I should be concerned about? I have blue-coat. Should I put some on him? It doesn't look red or sore or anything.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    What you describe sounds like the feathers may have been above the skin rather than implanted in it. I saw this on a very weak late duckling that I had a while ago- I saw little bump things on it while it was still wet- and it made me things of some kind of insect lavae at first. Then I realised that I was seeing the folicle sitting on the skin. If the feathers were just sitting on the outside of the skin- they would have fallen off- which is why you can now see the bald spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: