4 Day Old Noisy Chicks

Chiquitita6

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
So it's our first time raising chicks, we got 6 on Sunday (hatched on Saturday) and like everyone else states in their post "a happy chick, is a quiet chick". We have one that has got the hang of jumping up onto the heat plate and then cheeping loudly as if it is stuck which it definitely isn't because it has now taught itself to get up and down with ease. Coincidentally this is the only one that will eat from my hand so am not sure if it is just a little attention seeker or maybe even a cockerel? I have had one or two run for my hand. Unsure of what to do as the others seem to be happy enough and this one now jumps down and returns back to the others before I can even get to it now.

We have one that has got the hang of jumping up onto the heat plate and then cheeping loudly as if it is stuck which it definitely isn't because it has now taught itself to get up and down with ease.
I have had this happen, it's annoying as all get out.
I just yell SHUTUP and it startles and goes under the plate.

morning, happy chicks are quiet but in the first few days exploring their new world they can be quite noisy without much concern.
It might be that he really likes jumping up to the second level but it is too hot up there. He'll still jump up there and just start chirping "yo its too hot up here".

So if you can.. add a little cardboard box next to the heat plate with a hole cut out at the bottom so you don't waste any space - like this he can hop over onto the top of the cardboard box if he wants to be up top but has a cooler place to sit.

Just a thought - it might do nothing but it might sort out the problem.

I had two Delaware chicks who only stopped making noise when they were asleep....and now spend most days "honking" around their range. Other chicks only made noise when they were excited or scared.

The sassiest Delaware did the same thing, always trying to fly out of the brooder to my hand and get attention, one year later she makes a racket and wants to on my lap everyday......always makes me laugh when I see Delawares under "quiet suburban breeds" 😂 Sounds like you have a spunky chick!

morning, happy chicks are quiet but in the first few days exploring their new world they can be quite noisy without much concern.
It might be that he really likes jumping up to the second level but it is too hot up there. He'll still jump up there and just start chirping "yo its too hot up here".

So if you can.. add a little cardboard box next to the heat plate with a hole cut out at the bottom so you don't waste any space - like this he can hop over onto the top of the cardboard box if he wants to be up top but has a cooler place to sit.

Just a thought - it might do nothing but it might sort out the problem.
Great idea and definitely worth a try:):)

Back
Top Bottom