1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 days in a row-tiny egg on the floor. Help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by P-Funk, Aug 8, 2011.

1. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    4 days ago my White Leghorn started laying. For 3 days prior she milled around in the nesting boxes. The first 2 eggs were on the floor in the barn, so I locked her in the coop/run. The next 2 were on the floor in the coop. Her eggs are half the size of the RIR and BR's, and they're brown. I put golf balls in the boxes, no luck. Is it possible the Rhode Island is kicking her out? She can be REALLY bossy, despite the fact she's not very big.

2. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    All eggs are smaller when they just start laying and will increase in size as they age. I've had quite a few newbies laying eggs just a bit larger than gum balls. LOL [​IMG]

How many nesting boxes do you have and how many chickens?

How far off the ground are your nesting boxes?

~Tammy

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Leghorns lay white eggs.

Are you sure these smaller eggs are not from your other hens? Sometimes older hens lay small eggs just before or after they begin molting.

4. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    You could both be right. Yesterday I let the "big" older girls out to free range and left the "babies" in the coop. One of the babies, a Wyandotte, is especially small and will lay brown eggs. The nesting boxes are 2' off the floor - 3 of them for 5 hens. Aside from sitting in the coop all day I don't know what to do. None of the other eggs have started this small. [​IMG] Thanks for the support. I need to stop worrying so much. Preston

5. terimay

terimay Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    I have 3 chickens that have been laying for about 3 weeks, my 2 golden sexlinks lay regular size eggs, but my speckles sussex lays tiny eggs, I am actually really excited about the tiny eggs because I am saving them up to make bite size deviled eggs.

6. HomesteaderMel

HomesteaderMel Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    SW Florida
    Quote:Love it! What a great idea [​IMG]

7. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    leg horns lay white eggs look at her "ear lobs" they will be white which should match the color of the eggs. red are brown layers white are white layers dont know how it works with EEs [​IMG] but it has to be a different chicken. unless she isnt all leghorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by