4 days in a row-tiny egg on the floor. Help

P-Funk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Franktown
4 days ago my White Leghorn started laying. For 3 days prior she milled around in the nesting boxes. The first 2 eggs were on the floor in the barn, so I locked her in the coop/run. The next 2 were on the floor in the coop. Her eggs are half the size of the RIR and BR's, and they're brown. I put golf balls in the boxes, no luck. Is it possible the Rhode Island is kicking her out? She can be REALLY bossy, despite the fact she's not very big.

All eggs are smaller when they just start laying and will increase in size as they age. I've had quite a few newbies laying eggs just a bit larger than gum balls. LOL
smile.png

How many nesting boxes do you have and how many chickens?

How far off the ground are your nesting boxes?

~Tammy

Leghorns lay white eggs.

Are you sure these smaller eggs are not from your other hens? Sometimes older hens lay small eggs just before or after they begin molting.

You could both be right. Yesterday I let the "big" older girls out to free range and left the "babies" in the coop. One of the babies, a Wyandotte, is especially small and will lay brown eggs. The nesting boxes are 2' off the floor - 3 of them for 5 hens. Aside from sitting in the coop all day I don't know what to do. None of the other eggs have started this small.
80433_cinds_first_egg_8-5-11.jpg
Thanks for the support. I need to stop worrying so much. Preston

I have 3 chickens that have been laying for about 3 weeks, my 2 golden sexlinks lay regular size eggs, but my speckles sussex lays tiny eggs, I am actually really excited about the tiny eggs because I am saving them up to make bite size deviled eggs.

leg horns lay white eggs look at her "ear lobs" they will be white which should match the color of the eggs. red are brown layers white are white layers dont know how it works with EEs
hu.gif
but it has to be a different chicken. unless she isnt all leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom