4 days to lockdown STUPID TEMPERATURE SPIKES!

thatduckguyy

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
So for some reason just all of a sudden my incubator keeps flying up to 103 - 104 and I am getting worried. Like last ngith i left the fan on in the room to cool it down.. I wake up and it reads 104.4!!!!! I am so scared right now I think i fried them or something
sad.png
Is there any other ways to cool the incubator down I am getting worried. And would they still be alive? thanks

Are there humidity plugs that you can remove? It might help some of the heat excape. And maybe put in a dish of cool water? I know it won't stay cool but it might help for the time being if you can keep up with it. That's all I've got for now. Oh you could possibly put something in the door or hatch to kind of keep it open so some heat can escape...

Quote:
thank you, its a homemade styrofoam bator. so basically what i did is left a fan on in there kept the door open and poked a few holes. But I am really worried for lockdown because I have no idea how to get the temperatur down between 98 - 99 without opening the top and letting the humidity out
sad.png

That is a tough call then. I would try the water idea then and keep the door cracked. It's a dilemna trying to keep the humidity up and the temp. down but it's worth a shot I guess. Your humidity should be up towards 80% towards the end but I've heard it can be as low as 65%

I know space is a limiting factor. I'm in lock down now and have been in and out many times. I keep the %RH over 85 easily, with vent holes open and fan pushing some extra air out.

Heat sink- if not this time, perhaps next time. I use jars of water with very good lids to not leak water. I pick that which fits. THe more the better. Water absorbs a huge amount of energy; if the air temp starts to climb, the water will absorb some of the heat rather than just the eggs, so the next time I check the temp I can make adjustments. On day 7 the thermometers had soared to over 108; I felt panicked. I won't know until the end, so fix the situation.Open incubator and let hot air out!. Pretend momma hen went for a meal. I had turned the temp knob the wrong way so I turned it correctly. Fortunately the heat sink had done their job and the high heat had lasted less than 3 hrs (the last time I checked). I have 11 chicks/poults now with 10 more to hatch over the next 2 -3 days.

Increasing humidity: cut sponges and place upright in small sturdy cup. A paper cup works until a chick knocks it over; just replace it as needed. Try to use baby food jars. After going into the incubator , I pour warm water on the extra sponges that are stacked like a card house. It all needs a little managing as you go in and out of the incubator. A fan near the stacked sponges also draws air over the sponges and puts more moisture into the air.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom