4 died day 20

Beingalloha

Hatching
Jun 4, 2020
I tried hatching for the first time and out of 12 only one made it(a day early too and she is so pretty). 5 died very early on and 6 made it to day 20 (during lockdown I noticed no more movement in them) so I waited until day 26 just in case they were late bloomers... today day 26/27 ... I floated them( no movement) then I opened the eggs and all dead, and they were fully developed with yolk partially absorbed. No idea what happened. I’m so sad! Help!

I tried hatching for the first time and out of 12 only one made it(a day early too and she is so pretty). 5 died very early on and 6 made it to day 20 (during lockdown I noticed no more movement in them) so I waited until day 26 just in case they were late bloomers... today day 26/27 ... I floated them( no movement) then I opened the eggs and all dead, and they were fully developed with yolk partially absorbed. No idea what happened. I’m so sad! Help!
Hi, and welcome to the group...SO sad this is how you're saying hello, yes it's very sad when you lose a chick. So many questions, though, to be able to try to help. First off...what kind of incubator, how did you check the temperature, how did you check the humidity? Did you ever candle the eggs, if so - what did you see?
Let's start with that. Oh...and if you only have one chick, you will want a companion for it. Chickens are flock birds and are not happy by themselves.

Never float test eggs that have been incubated...

Do you have a separate hygrometer and thermometer inside your incubator? And have they been calibrated?

What humidity were you at till day 18?

Did you hand turn or use a turner?

Did you candle? On what days? And did you see movement or growth?

Were these shipped eggs or from your own flock?

Hi. They were from a local farm and I candled up to day 19 there was movement up until then and the eggs looked exactly as all the internet photos looked for day 19... I left them In lockdown even with the chick who was born early until day 22 bc I quick stuck my hand in to get the chick who was born 3 days prior...when I put my hand in I even did it with a wet wash cloth just in case for the humidity. I understand about having one chick and I am trying to find a local place or farm that will send me just one Silkie for her to have some company yet no luck yet.

And seriously thank you so much for your replies! They mean a lot to feel like I have some company and support out there.

Back
Top Bottom