4-H Can we show a chicken with a comb defect?

mtblankus

Songster
6 Years
Apr 1, 2016
Anyone here have experience showing for 4H? I'm curious how well our rooster will do at the 4-H fair with a comb defect. He got frostbite this winter (he had adequate access to shelter with a heat lamp, but chose not to use it) and the tip of his comb turned black and fell off. :-( Photo attached.

Unfortunately, we're limited on poultry to show because this guy is just sooooo loving that most of the hens' back feathers are in awful shape.

Attachments

• roo.jpg
    roo.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 38
I'm not sure with 4H Shows, but for some chicken shows, the combs are deliberately cut off. It is called dubbing. A practice I do not like. :he
Here is a copy,and paste.
Dubbing is the practice of cutting off the comb, wattle, and earlobes of chickens. When a roster is dubbed, the wattle, the earlobes, and the comb are removed using sharp scissors. It is best if two people handle the task. The bird is wrapped in a towel or other cloth so that only it's head is visible.
I think it is only done on Game Roosters, but not sure.
Frostbite is a natural occurrence, and I don't think it would disqualify your rooster at a 4H show.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Dubbing would not be acceptable for this breed, nor is it extreme enough to be considered dubbing.
Personally, I think that rooster is showable, especially at a county fair. There is some damage on the comb, but it's barely noticeable and preferable to a bare-backed hen.
Be sure to shine that comb up with Vaseline though.
Good luck!

From my personal experience in 4h the judges would barely blink at the combs condition. They tend to be very easy on judging the 4h category, and honestly the comb doesn’t seem to be on that bad of shape. I would rub on some Vaseline and on the day of the show I would apply baby oil to help the comb shine. (Be careful to not get this in his eyes) Good luck with showing.

Back
Top Bottom