4-H Chick Chain Project

clcarpen251

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 14, 2012
My 10 year old is participating in the 4-H Chick Chain project this year. In a couple weeks she will receive 24 day old chicks (all female) - 8 each of Buff Brahma, Barred Plymouth Rock, and Buff Orphington. For 21 weeks she will raise them and then take her 5 best to the local fair to auction and we will keep the other 19. During this time, she is supposed to keep track of everything with them such as money spent, growth, etc. We have several ideas, such as taking weekly pictures of the chicks to help track their growth but I am hoping to get some ideas from everyone else!

I think this is a great project, but it will definitely be a challenge for us. We currently have 2 chickens and have raised them off and on for years, but we have never had more than 8 or 9 at a time, AND we live in the middle of our small town. (Thankfully the only law our city has about poultry is they cannot be free-range).

Ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Sounds like a neat program! I am a 4-H leader and mom to 2 4-H kids. Best of luck with the new birds!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom